Have you remapped your 272 bhp engine?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pitts Pilot

Car
SL63 AMG 6.3, VW Tiguan 2.0
Does anyone have any experience of having their 272 bhp engine in a C350, CLC, CLS, E350, R350, or S350 remapped?

I’m thinking of doing this to my 2007 SL350 (R230), but wondered if someone had firsthand experience of the difference/s it made.

Normally aspirated petrol engines don't typically respond well remaps. Your money might be better spent on tweaking the exhaust: it might eek out a little more power, but the noise will make it feel faster, even if it isn't.

Normally aspirated petrol engines don't typically respond well remaps. Your money might be better spent on tweaking the exhaust: it might eek out a little more power, but the noise will make it feel faster, even if it isn't.
I agree, and I’m not expecting to see big bhp increases on a normally aspirated petrol engine. I reckon 8 to 10% increases in bhp & torque will be the realistic maximum.

Overtaking ability, and an improvement in the engine’s willingness to rev, plus the removal of the manufacturers ‘fuel figures’ flat spots, is what I think collectively would be most noticeable in real life driving.

I had an M3 once and got it remapped. As expected, the bhp and torque figures had modest increases, but the engine took on a different ‘attitude’. It revved more freely, it responded with greater eagerness to the throttle pedal, and the flat spots were eliminated to make acceleration smoother.

All these changes were minor by comparison to the huge increases in bhp a turbo diesel would see, but I found them enough to tangibly improve the driving experience. This is what I am aiming for.

I agree with your comment about the exhaust, but I was thinking of starting at the other end, namely with a performance air filter, or two.

I understand that the pre 2008 face lift, end of line cars, named ‘Sport Edition’ (not the ‘Sports Pack’) had a different MB air filter to give a louder induction sound. Seems a fun idea, and might even add a few more ponies to the engine’s mid-range – where one uses the car 90 % of the time.

I’m currently talking to Angel Tuning as they are one of only a few tuning companies that can remap the Delphi ECU. I’m discussing what might reasonably be achieved by their remap.

Of course, the OP was hoping to find someone who had actually done the remap, as I wanted to know whether they felt it had made their car more satisfying to drive, (rather than faster, etc).

Thanks

I see superchips offwe one for the 3.5 272bhp, not a massive increase though. After having the mufflers taken off my last car (E39 M5) Im so tempted to get a new exhaust for my C350. Its very muted.

I've spoken to Angel Tuning, and they are happy to do a remap, although they also pointed out that the bhp and torque gains will be relatively small.

However, they did say the 'drivability' of the car would be improved, and I would notice the difference, or my money back!

So, what have I got to lose? I'll book them for next week, and post an update if I think that it was all worth it.

Thanks

Would you not be better having the timing gear etc looked at. M272's are prone to issues.

Would you not be better having the timing gear etc looked at. M272's are prone to issues.
I was not aware of the problem, help! :eek:

Can you elaborate on what issues these are? Because I was going to book a day at PCS in Portsmouth to have the car generally "looked at” and things like the ABC struts checked for leaks, etc, whilst I still have a MB Used Car main dealer warranty.

Many thanks :)

Yes can you explain some more ?

I would not think you would get 10% on your car with a remap but if the rolling road says otherwise...

Like you say nothing to lose.

Have you a 'Private' road you can test you car on now.... and then try it once mapped?

I was not aware of the problem, help! :eek:

Can you elaborate on what issues these are? Because I was going to book a day at PCS in Portsmouth to have the car generally "looked at” and things like the ABC struts checked for leaks, etc, whilst I still have a MB Used Car main dealer warranty.

Many thanks :)

Yes can you explain some more ?

This. Please have the car looked at, and the timing gear updated. You will thank me and Dr-Nab in the long run.

I'm really surprised I didn't have any issues with mine, I only did about 12k miles in the 2 years I had it but they were really rather spirited miles :D

OK, you have successfully frightened me!

How can I know whether I have a weak timing gear sprocket without pulling the engine apart?

Are there engine numbers that can be referred to?

My 07 SL350 was built in late 2006, as (I understand it) cars are often 6 months off the production line before they actually get registered and become someone's pride and joy.

I’m anxious that my car falls in to the 'dodgy' timing gear dates, so how should I proceed from here?

Thanks

Somehow, this is the first I've heard of the timing gear issue, despite having had my 2004 SLK 350 since it was 1 year old. Not seen any sign of the issue in the 36,000 miles it's covered so far.

At last, some soothing words of a balanced point of view!

I still want to check this out. Prevention is better (and cheaper) than cure.

OK, I'll be honest, I'm losing sleep over this timing gear issue :(

How about an additional or extended warrenty?

I bought my car from MB Reading and it came with a 12 month warrenty. So can I extend that, or do I go and research regular 'Extended warrenties'?

I realise that 95% of the Extended Warrenties are not worth the paper they are written on, but there must be 1 or 2 that are half decent? And would cover a "Oh, I seem to have a problem with the timing gear...." ? :rolleyes:

Thanks

OK, I'll be honest, I'm losing sleep over this timing gear issue :(

How about an additional or extended warrenty?

I bought my car from MB Reading and it came with a 12 month warrenty. So can I extend that, or do I go and research regular 'Extended warrenties'?

I realise that 95% of the Extended Warrenties are not worth the paper they are written on, but there must be 1 or 2 that are half decent? And would cover a "Oh, I seem to have a problem with the timing gear...." ? :rolleyes:

Thanks

Relax - the article says that only 1% (1500) of cars are affected, and that MB will pay for it to be sorted. Rather than worrying unncessarily, just contact your dealership and ask them to confirm whether that's the case.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom