Having 2 cars for a short amount of time? Bad idea or any way to keep the cost down?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dtr

Car
Seat Toledo III 1.9TDI
The plan was to sell the current car, and buy something bigger and more powerful.

The market is currently over saturated, and I am really struggling to attract any attention, when there are some good deals to be had on the cars I want.
It may take a while till the day I sell, and then I won't even have a car to go round and see other ones for sale. My current insurance will technically cease, until being transfered to a new car, so there is even a problem of test drive. If I end up this route, I need some good buying advice.

The plan B could involve getting a good deal for a new car from that mythical old housewife, whilst in possession of the current one. This would mean one car is left without insurance, and it would be the old one - obviously I'd want to drive the new toy everywhere. SORN is a very tough but probably option (neighbour's drive), but wouldn't that eliminate almost all potential buyers, and prevent any test drive? 2 insurance policies on budget - 2x £700 full insurance would beat any purpose of buying another car.

Plan C is dealer PX, but so far it seems they will give a cheeky £50 off, rip me off for a failing car, and leave me in poverty. I am really not so keen as things stand at the moment.

BTW I'm 27 with no fault accidents, 7 years licence and 1 NCB (only started driving 2 years ago thanks to insurance costs)

When you find the new car, talk to your insurer about the cost to change the cars over on the policy and add the old car as a temporary vehicle for 1 to 4 weeks (and sell it within that time). This is cost effective with some insurers, but is cost prohibitive with others.
You can then decide whether it is financially better for you to trade in or sell the old car privately.

I had to do this a few months ago when I found the 968 cab I wanted but had not sold the coupe - and still had the C270! Classic line (968 insurer) would only give me 30 days additional car cover, but Saga (C270 insurers) gave me a new 12 month policy for the cab at a good price, and as an existing customer let me cancel it without penalty. Had the second Saga policy for 3 months, ended up costing about £90, refund came through very quickly, and Classic line transferred the coupe insurance to the cab FOC (plus no additional cost when I told them I'd had a Promax chip fitted!).

Most companies will do temporary monthly insurance.

Last time I was in this situation though it worked out cheaper to take out a normal policy (paid monthly), and then cancel it after a couple of months!

You will need to shop around for discounts though as you won't have any NCD for the new policy.

I'm in exactly that situation right now - I bought my E a week ago, and am trying to sell my old Mondeo right now. I added the Merc to my existing Swiftcover policy as a temporary vehicle for 30 days at a cost of about £100, so I need to get shot of the Mondeo by early October. Then I'll move to a different insurance company as Swiftcover aren't even close to competitive for insuring the new car.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom