Having a conservatory built and neighbours

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

garystu1965

Car
Mercedes E350 CDI Coupe
A couple of years ago the neighbours had a large conservatory built. The conservatory side sits alongside my garden fence to the left. No problems there. However I am into Astronomy and on dark nights like to get the scope out and do a bit of star gazing. Well that's been dashed altogether now. The neighbours have decided to buy a very bright lamp and sat it int the corner of the room. The light is so bright it lights the sky up thus ruining my Astronomy. I approached the guy a few weeks ago to tell him about it and for a few weeks the light never came on. However since last week they've now decided to go one better. They've put it on a timer that switches it on between 9.30am and 1.30am !
Bit drastic this is but I'm now having a conservatory built in my garden that will sit exactly adjacent to my neighbours. This will sort most of the light problem. The left windows of the conservatory will be frosted so we can't see into each other's conservatory.
My question is...is there anything by law they can do to stop be getting this conservatory being built ?

If I had my way I'd go the whole hog and have the left wall bricked up with no windows :D

It sounds a bit drastic I know but I feel they are taking the michael over this. I know I can't ask them not to switch the lamp on but all I was asking was for a bit of consideration.

Do what my boss did and build yourself one of these instead of the conservatory ;)

Web%20Observatory%20(closed).jpg

culpano said:
A couple of years ago the neighbours had a large conservatory built. The conservatory side sits alongside my garden fence to the left. No problems there. However I am into Astronomy and on dark nights like to get the scope out and do a bit of star gazing. Well that's been dashed altogether now. The neighbours have decided to buy a very bright lamp and sat it int the corner of the room. The light is so bright it lights the sky up thus ruining my Astronomy. I approached the guy a few weeks ago to tell him about it and for a few weeks the light never came on. However since last week they've now decided to go one better. They've put it on a timer that switches it on between 9.30am and 1.30am !
Bit drastic this is but I'm now having a conservatory built in my garden that will sit exactly adjacent to my neighbours. This will sort most of the light problem. The left windows of the conservatory will be frosted so we can't see into each other's conservatory.
My question is...is there anything by law they can do to stop be getting this conservatory being built ?

If I had my way I'd go the whole hog and have the left wall bricked up with no windows :D

It sounds a bit drastic I know but I feel they are taking the michael over this. I know I can't ask them not to switch the lamp on but all I was asking was for a bit of consideration.

why not just build a brick wall ?

Can't you just go an ask him again ? Seems like he was reasonable before.

Speak to your local planning department. They should be very helpful and tell you what is likely to be approved / refused.

996jimbo said:
Speak to your local planning department. They should be very helpful and tell you what is likely to be approved / refused.

We own a building company and planning departments are never helpful!

In our area conservatories don't require planning permission unless they are over a certain size, can't remember how big bit I think it's pretty large.

A lot depends on how old your property is, are there any restrictive covenants and whether or not you actually need planning permission at all.

Many many older properties (circa 1975 and before) do not require any planning permission at all for brick walls or conservatories. This is called 'Permitted rights'. You may have the right to do many things to your property depending on its age. There is no right to light so your neighbour cannot complain about lack of light. Your neighbour could complain about any planning application but you have the right to see his/her complaint.

I would endorse what others have said and take a trip to the local council. If like me you have your deeds, then take a look at those as they will detail any restrictive covenants. However, the fact that your neighbour has a conservatory, means you should automatically be able to have one too as the precedent is set if planning was required for his.

If you are lucky enough to be in an older property you most likely have the right to erect a six foot boundary wall around your property. Newer properties tend to have all 'permitted rights' removed as a condition of planning consent being granted for the initial house build.

good luck

ClaireML said:
We own a building company and planning departments are never helpful!

In our area conservatories don't require planning permission unless they are over a certain size, can't remember how big bit I think it's pretty large.
The info we had said a MAX volume of 70 cubic metres.
Some info here http://www.1st-4-conservatories.co.uk/conservatory_building_regulations.html

http://www.braintree.gov.uk/Braintr...ommon+questions+about+planning+permission.htm

Search the planning regs of your local Council.....

Last edited:
Of course the planning permission issue cuts both ways and you might check with your local authority that your neighbour either got permission or didn't need it...

I'de go for the wall too - or if you want a conservatory anyway then simply have the left hand side as a solid wall anyway

dont fall into the trap that just because its called a conservatory that it needs to be 'see through' all the way round

good luck . . .

My next door neighbour built a conservatory with a solid brick wall bordering my patio/garden. I wasn't happy at all so contacted the council planning department but they said there was nothing I could do and they didn't need planning permission.

Some neighbours (not direct) are having planning issues and have been told that the can build an 8ft high brick wall around their garden without planning permission, but can't get permission for a 7ft wall on the edge of a conservatory - go figure...?

BTW it's the planning office not their neighbours who are objecting....??

I would take a deep breath and give the issue a bit more thought.

How do you get on with your neighbours?

The very last thing anyone wants is a 'neighbours dispute'. This will have very long term legal hiccups.

Nowadays when selling a property I believe you are obliged by law to disclose any disputes etc between neighbours.

Talk to them, tell them about your hobby, show them the problem of what happens when they put there lights on.

Clearly they are entitled to put the exterior lights on, but you have a hobby which you enjoy. There has to be some middle ground without going all formal. Just remember once you start going down the official course, your neighbours might also go the same way.

The folks five doors up from us have just spent over £200,000 on legal fees fighting over an 8" strip of land!!!!!!!!!!! Unbelieveable when you consider we all have half acre plots. Plus they lost. :eek: :eek:

Try and resolve this over a bottle of beer or three...... You know it makes sense :D :bannana:

Good luck,
John

And remember what one local authority may or may not allow/require planning permission for isn't necessarily true of another. They each have their own planning policies which are available to view at your planning office ;)

SportsCoupeRich said:
Have you considered putting in a huge row of leylandii conifers. turn the heat up a little :devil:

The law on this changed very recently. Hedges, especially Lleylandii must not be higher than 6'6". Its a £1,000 fine per tree nowadays. Apparently, according to one of my brothers who is a arboriculturalist (tree surgeon) you dont even get the chance to trim them if caught!

Brick wall a much safer option which requires a lot less maintenance.

<SENSIBLE MODE>

One things for sure, it's easy to fall out with neighbours and difficult to fall back in.

Wherever possible, give and take and a bit of common sense compromise is normally the best solution for all concerned.

</SENSIBLE MODE>

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom