Having an issue with my S63L

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sambam2006

Car
S63L AMG, GLC COUPE
Hi Guys,

I am getting this really weird sound every time I drive now, it seems to be apparent when I accelerate.

My gears are changing perfectly fine and the engine seems to be producing the power perfectly fine.

I don't think the sound is coming from the front in the engine bay. I plugged in Xentry and it's not showing anything wrong electronically.

The car (S63 L W222 (2016 Year) - It has the M157 Engine

Any ideas from your experience on what this could be?

See the video below:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Thanks

Sounds v much like a noise I had with my Saab years ago, turned out to be a pinion bearing.

Get it into a garage, better to fix the cause than repair any diff related failure!

Does it alter when you turn at low speed ?

I once had a similar noise that was caused by a faulty Pulsation Damper.

Mine had one of those replaced earlier this year. I’m surprised it’s not the very first thing a dealer would check (in my experience it wasn’t).

Does it alter when you turn at low speed ?
I hear it more in 1st and 2nd gear, but then because of the heavy rain here today I wasn't able to properly check.

And thank you everyone for the suggestions, it definitely helps, I think I might play around with Xentry tomorrow and will get it booked in and get this checked out asap

It's definitely the Pulsation Damper.

I booked it in for next week. Do these Dampers use oil? I noticed my engine oil is below the 'min mark' so wondered I could need a top up of some fluid elsewhere. Thanks

You should hear bugger all when stationary apart from the occasional, then it should get louder as you move off in first and second and then as the ambient noise / engine noise / road noise increases, they all drown it out even though it will still be happening.

I booked it in for next week. Do these Dampers use oil? I noticed my engine oil is below the 'min mark' so wondered I could need a top up of some fluid elsewhere. Thanks

They are part of the ABC suspension and they could be leaking ABC fluid (which I would presume is like ATF / PAS fluid) but nothing to do with engine oil.

If your engine oil is at the minimum mark, fill it up to maximum carefully and monitor how quick it goes down.

As a guide, IIRC a litre per 1000 miles is "in tolerance" and is likely you are burning it out the exhaust from a heavy right foot if it is in that ball park.

See how the loss measures up to that...

Just updating with the outcome: Problem was solved and as you guys correctly identified in the thread, it was indeed the Pulsation Damper. Mercedes Charged me £513 for replacing one. (Warranty covered up to £338)
Part took so long to arrive so was in a loaner in that duration.

Now another issue :wallbash::wallbash:
Now that I got the car back I can hear a rattle in the engine bay after a trip down MK shopping centre but can't source where it's coming from. In cold start there is a whistling noise but goes away when warm. Anyone experience this or shed some light on places I can look?

Many thanks for all your help :)

Rattle could be something not tightened up correctly after the PD change. The whistling could be something letting in air through unintended gaps.

You might have to do sound-recordings of the new noises though.

Finally got around doing a video

Here's the rattling noise:

And here's the whistle noise that seems to be constant:

They both sound to me like what I thought in my last post.

I'd take it back to where the work was done personally...

They both sound to me like what I thought in my last post.

I'd take it back to where the work was done personally...

Thanks I will drop them a call on Monday, hopefully a quick simple fix

Mercedes got back to me today after having my car for ages doing tests and investigating and they told me they can’t find a problem with it.

I showed them my videos and they couldn’t replicate both of the sounds.

These both started to appear right after my big service (which included spark plugs, brake fluid etc)
and a day later from the service the repair was done for pulsation damper.

Then these 2 noises pop out of no where after having my car back :-(

One of the technicians today said he has an assumption that it could be hydraulic tappet inside the engine to which i challenged where in the world did you come up with that, an assumption based on the videos i have on this thread, are these technicians feeling alright

Anyone with this engine M157 shed any light please?

I try not to listen to the engine on mine, at least like that. It’s not a quiet engine at tickover and worse when cold. Try to shut the door before starting it, that’s my advice.

Just to update the thread.

The rattle was the Belt Tensioner which I had replaced yesterday at Mercedes after delay on part, rattle noise has gone.

Whistle noise still there but Mercedes can't find the issue, so car back until something happens next time lol

Just to update the thread.

The rattle was the Belt Tensioner which I had replaced yesterday at Mercedes after delay on part, rattle noise has gone.

Whistle noise still there but Mercedes can't find the issue, so car back until something happens next time lol

Sounds like you've had some bad luck, hope you get sorted.

Interesting about the belt tensioner, I'd thought this shouldn't be a problem on late-2013 onward M157s, but interested to hear thoughts from more knowledgeable folk. Yours is 2016, right?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom