Having changed the battery....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

LXA

SUPPORTER
Car
ML500
Having changed the 15 year old starter and aux batteries in my W164 ML500 I now have a couple of error codes. I don't have an OBDII reader / diagnostic tool but will be getting one shortly - Autel MaxiLink ML629 OBD2 Scanner Upgraded Version of ML619, DTC Lookup, Ready Test, ABS/SRS/Engine/Transmission Diagnoses: Amazon.co.uk: Car & Motorbike
(unless anyone convinces me otherwise)
I was getting spurious error codes as previously detailed which led me to changing the battery. (ABS/ESP/lights/tyre pressure sensors).
The current error codes are mostly the same, plus a reference to SRS. I believe this is possibly due to disconnecting the battery generating a fault.

Is it possible that stored faults can cause the vehicle to go into limp mode ? - I'm assuming it's limp mode (never experienced it before) as it won't change to higher gears so end up maxing out at 60mph @ 4krpm
Or, does this mean that the actual error condition is still there despite having swapped the battery?.
This is why I'm thinking of getting the OBDII tool, clear the fault codes and see if they come back, as in a genuine current fault or see if it clears the limp mode and generally makes everything better - at the worst/best I get a better view of what's occurring .....

re the dash errors, did you teach the car the range of the steering wheel? full lock left, then full lock right?

no.... is there any more to it than that? - presumably with the engine running?
haven't heard of this one before...

yep with engine running, it teaches the car the range of the steering. like what needs to be done on certain models electric windows.

try it, leave it 10 secs, switch off and on again and then drive around block. it should clear the errors on the dash.

Reactions: LXA
ok, just tried - no difference....

My understanding is that stored/historic fault codes shouldn't affect anything, only present faults will cause limp mode.

As for scanner, I had an Autel MaxiDiag and now have iCarsoft and Carly.

The issue with Autel is that while they say that the software can be updated, in the 9 years that I owned it not a single new update was released, and when I changed my car I had to replace also the Autel because it didn't have a config file for the newer model.

The iCarsoft on the other hand has updates releases every couple of months, so hopefully I will be able to continue and use it when I change the car again (assuming the next car will also be a Merc).

Carly is very convenient because it scans all of the car's systems in one scan and then keeps a library of previous scans in the cloud, but in reality if you have the iCarsoft then you don't really need the Carly.

ok, thanks for that Mark - been looking into scanners further and well, Autel is Chinese so that's out... probably given current political climate (in addition to what you said). The iCarsoft MB II is fine but would like to invest in the future and not guaranteed to stay with MB, so the iCarsoft PRO would be ideal but prohibitively expensive at the moment - wish I'd have caught the deal, I'd have gone for that.

and as for the limp mode (I'm assuming it is limp mode it's in? ) - oh dear. Makes sense and also makes me wish they'd stop 'improving' cars -

Limped into my favourite indy garage - deleted all error codes
F/n/s speed sensor u/s - ordered and booked in for Tuesday.
Managed to drive all the way home before it faulted again.
Conclusion - original fault was speed sensor going u/s. Investigation on my part, although off target revealed 15 year old starter battery with CCa of 336 but not showing any symptoms of failing, so useful nevertheless as that was just a problem waiting to happen - yay me and thanks to all those that helped and advised 😁👍

Limped into my favourite indy garage - deleted all error codes
F/n/s speed sensor u/s - ordered and booked in for Tuesday.
Managed to drive all the way home before it faulted again.
Conclusion - original fault was speed sensor going u/s. Investigation on my part, although off target revealed 15 year old starter battery with CCa of 336 but not showing any symptoms of failing, so useful nevertheless as that was just a problem waiting to happen - yay me and thanks to all those that helped and advised 😁👍
Glad it’s sorted 👍🏻

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom