Having trouble deciding on E class estate model

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jolltax

Car
Volvo XC90 D5, looking at E250CDI Estate atm
Still agonizing over which Benz to get on our company lease scheme....

Which would you go for based on the following costs per month?

MERCEDES E270 5DR ESTATE 2.7 CDi AVANTGARDE AUTO £447.18
MERCEDES E270 5DR ESTATE 2.7 CDi ELEGANCE AUTO £433.91
MERCEDES E320 5DR ESTATE 3.2 CDi AVANTGARDE AUTO £479.47
MERCEDES E320 5DR ESTATE 3.2 CDi ELEGANCE AUTO £466.20

I guess I am particularly wondering whether the additional performance of the 320 CDi over the 270CDi justifies the additional costs. Guess also want some feel for the difference in 'smiles per mile' factor!

Currently I have an Audi A4 Avant 1.9 Tdi - a much smaller car but I would expect similar or better performance from the Mercedes (in gear acceleration, not necessarily 0 - 60 etc)

I am also struggling to understand the key differences between Avantgarde and Elegance - is the keyless go system worth having?

Would be grateful for any thoughts before I book test drives.

Cheers

Jolltax

Either of the 320 CDi variants.

Faced with that sort of choice I wouldn't consider the 270's

I really love my 270 and I would expect the performance to be much better than the Audi, but... I have been in Brian's 320CDi and although it didn't feel that much quicker the engine is much smoother and quieter, a few people on this site have commented that the 270 engine can be quite loud and suffer from vibration. I'd say go for the 320 if you can, I often wish I had.

The Avantgarde has Bi-Xenon headlights and much nicer alloys which I think make it well worth the extra, try driving one down a country lane at night and experience the Bi-Xenon's! I also prefer the dark wood butI guess that's down to personal preference.

keyless go? Seems an expensive toy to me. I'd have thought the money was better spent on leather, parktronic, command maybe.

Let us know which you choose :)

As said by others go for the 320 CDi Avantgarde. Literally EVERYONE around you will go green with envy. You will either have lots of friends or none at all, but hey who cares!

Avantgarde is sporty orientated and better looking, Elegance is appointed like a drawing room and handles like a sofa!

IF i had my choice i would have an elegance with sand leather nappa leather and a wood and leather wheel :)

But , im old before my time im afraid:D

Thanks Guys

Thats been helpful, thanks very much.

I guess the test drive will be the deciding factor, we only do 10k miles or less a year and although the schoolboy side of my character says 'get the 320', the accountant says 'get the 270 and save the money'.

I guess Keyless go, is a useless gimmick? I'm not even that clear on what it ACTUALLY does.

Does it lock and unlock the car automatically for you without taking keys out of your pocket?

Cheers

Jolltax

Re: Thanks Guys

Originally posted by Jolltax
Thats been helpful, thanks very much.
I guess Keyless go, is a useless gimmick? I'm not even that clear on what it ACTUALLY does.

Does it lock and unlock the car automatically for you without taking keys out of your pocket?

I wouldn't say its useless, I'm sure it works very well its just that its quite expensive.

It doesn't unlock the door automatically, you have to do that by pressing a button in the inside of the door handle as you pull it, and it will only unlock if the key thing is in your pocket. Then for starting the car you press a button on the gear selector. I'm not sure how you lock the car.

this is what keyless go can do:

Unlocking vehicle: (2 ways) have the keys in your pocket. walk up to the car. pull the handle and the door automatically unlocks. OR walk up to the car and press the button behind the door handle and the door opens up about 2 inches and then just open the door. (or you can just use the key to unlock in the normal way)

Locking vehicle: when you get out of the car and close the door, then just press the small black box on the handle. car locks automatically.

Opening the boot: walk up to the boot, pull the handle the, boot will open and car will unlock. (then when you close the boot, press the button and the car will lock)

starting the car: put your foot on the brake and then press the button on the gear selector once. car will start up automatically.

Turning car off: just press the stop button once.

hope that helps,
AkMaL

Hmmm

Thanks Akmal17, thats much more clear.

I'm not sure I'll bother, for the money I could go for something different which might suit us better.

Sounds like fun though!

Originally posted by Jolltax
Still agonizing over which Benz to get on our company lease scheme....

Which would you go for based on the following costs per month?

MERCEDES E270 5DR ESTATE 2.7 CDi AVANTGARDE AUTO £447.18
MERCEDES E270 5DR ESTATE 2.7 CDi ELEGANCE AUTO £433.91
MERCEDES E320 5DR ESTATE 3.2 CDi AVANTGARDE AUTO £479.47
MERCEDES E320 5DR ESTATE 3.2 CDi ELEGANCE AUTO £466.20

Looks good . I would assume those prices are Plus VAT.

ALso , how many payments up front do they need? What mileage are those worked out on ?

Thanks

Thats inc VAT and includes all running costs except fuel, no money up front.

Its a closed scheme for employees only so I'm guessing the costs are pretty reasonable?

Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom