Hazard flasher works but turn indicators don't?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

El Caballo

Car
1988 260E
I had the voltage regulator die on my 1988 W124 260E the other day but before it did, the turn indicators stopped making their clicking noise but would flash. Shortly thereafter, the car died and only the solenoid would click when I tried to start it again. Battery drained dead, I knew it was the alternator giving me trouble. :wallbash:

Fast forward, I put in a new regulator and jumped the car. Mate helping me put the positive jumper on negative battery terminal. After a wisp of smoke realized what happened. (Couldn't blame him too much, the terminals are not well marked, difficult to see, oh well.) :doh:

Everything but the turn indicators work, when the hazard lights are put on they flash. The headlights work, the windscreen wiper works. Didn't try intermittant wipers; should I? The car runs like a champ.

Anyway, all my mind comes up with is that there must be a relay or seperate fuse for the turn indicators?

Any ideas? :dk:

Initially I had thought it was a fuse, but when the hazard flashers worked, I assumed they were on the same circuit. I revisited the idea and looked at the fusebox and saw a blown fuse, replaced it and voila, turn indicators worked. Embarrassing, but there it is. Lesson learned, go with your initial hunch.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom