Hazardous car waste recycling

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

R129mine

Car
R129 SL500 from 96
How do you dispose of old oil, brake fluid or hydraulic fluid.

I never had to deal with this stuff as the local garage would sort this out during a service but as I am now doing this myself I have about 20 liters of oil and some brake fluid sitting in my garage.

My local ( Milton Keynes) household waste recycling would usually accept car batteries and oil but due to covid they don’t at the moment.

What do you do with old oil and fuel filters?

You cannot put it in the general waste as it still contains oil.

What do you do with all this stuff?

Does your local council have the same restrictions in place at the moment ?

I take them to the local recycling centre.

Haven't for a while though, I'm using the oil on the fence.

Reactions: 219
My local recycling centre still accepts oil and used oil filters.

Car batteries have reasonable scrap value - haven’t checked for ages but typically £1/10Ah (large batteries about £10, smaller ones £5 etc)

If you’re stuck you could ask a local garage if they’d take the lot for you, they would probably get the scrap value from the battery for more than the rest costs them - or try another recycling centre :)

I took 20L of oil to the recycle centre yesterday. They collect the empty oil containers in an adjacent area once they have been emptied into the big tank but it wasn't clear if they also accepted filters. I will have to ask next time. I had already drained them well and put them in with the general waste.

For anyone who has read Zen and the art of motorcycle maintenance, you will remember one thing that dates it is how he changes the oil half a dozen times on the trip by simply draining it straight on to the ground in gravel car parks. It was the accepted norm at the time.

They’re bound to vary, but mine has a metal tank for pouring the old oil into and a separate bin for the containers, and oil filters to go into.

Restrictions at our local tip haven't really changed, bar the fact that you have to book to attend now. There always has been a quantity restriction on the amount of engine oil, but the amount has never been specified. I have 3x 25l drums which I use to store my waste oil (from my Landcruiser days, 12ltr every 4500 miles) and they've never batted an eyelid.

Our local tip currently isn’t accepting it either , so I started a fire to burn garden rubbish and poured the waste oil on a little at a time until it was all consumed . The filter went in the non recyclable rubbish bin , inside a black bag with the oil bottle .

Was there not an article once that the safe way to dispose of it was to dig a hole in your garden, pour it in and let it seep away :D

Mine does accept it however when it first re-opened, the large tank was padlocked and so I asked the attendant what to do with my oil. He said just throw the full container into the general waste/land fill skip.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom