Head Gasket Problem

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

brianand

Just driven over to Germany in my C200 and the last 10 miles of the journey the coolant warning light came on, and the car was juddering at idle. I topped up the coolant this morning and all was fine then the coolant light came on after 1 mile, just taken it too a local germen mercedes garage and they tink water has got in with the fuel and might be the seal around the head gasket or the head gasket. My question is how much wold it cost to replace in the UK? I have been quoted roughly 1200 euro for them to change the seal, but if its the head gasket about 3000 Euro's is that pretty much the going rate or am I better to get it relayed back to the uk, and get the work done there?

Cheers

Brian

Dont quite understand the phrase the seal around the head gasket or the head gasket. You should be able to get a full head gasket change on a 4 cylinder for around £700 easily 3000 euro is about £2000 far too expensive IMHO . Remember you will have the cost of any recovery to the UK to add to a UK REPAIR. I would suggest you shop around a bit in Germany??

Just read the paper work they gave me regarding having a look etc and they have put cylinder head on it so between his broken english and my broken german, perhaps he meant head gasket @ 1200 or cylinder head @ 3000 euro

Head gasket job on the inline sixes is 8 hours: £400--500 at an indie, £800-1000 at a main dealer.

Do more diagnostic before deciding. The proof of a failed CHG is, when revving the engine with the header tank cap off, water blows out of the header tank. Yours may not be this far gone yet

What warranty / recovery / repatriation services do you have?

As you have internet access you can translate the diagnosis using www.freetranslation.com

Nick Froome
www.w124.co.uk

Hi,

Yep did that test with the guy from Mercedes and was exactly as you explained.

No warranty as brought it only 2 weeks ago and its a 95 model. Its done 176,000 miles so I guess it was going to happen sooner rather than, the only pain apart from cost is the fact I am abroad at the moment.

Got to go down there tomorrow to find out exactly whats wrong with it and should know more then.

I have AA assistance for europe but I think that you can only get your car back if it 1) Cant be repaired here, or Repair is more than the car is worth!

Brian

Very sorry to hear this Brian, only hope you can get it sorted out for a reasonably good price.

Choices

Just read the paper work they gave me regarding having a look etc and they have put cylinder head on it so between his broken english and my broken german, perhaps he meant head gasket @ 1200 or cylinder head @ 3000 euro

THAT!! makes a lot more sense. Many cylinder heads will need a "skim" at a machine shop after a CHG failure to make sure they are flat and sometimes a porous section may need a weld repair. That might up the cost slightly say £200 but total cost should not exceed £900 max. Based on what you have said it doesn't sound as if they are trying to rip you off.
Since you are in Germany whats the chance of you picking up a complete 2nd hand engine in good nick? Might cost a bit more but would be an investment if the rest of the car warrants it? If a new cylinder head is required then its definitely worth considering.

Thanks for the advice, I would consider looking at a new engine however I am only supposed to be here until Monday and as it is I am having to wait until Tuesday for them to do any work needed. Also I got made redundant a week ago and this is seriously denting my final salary payment. Its the wifes birthday on Wednesday and christmas next month. So lost my job, my car is farked...now what else can happen to make it three!!!!!:D

Its the wifes birthday on Wednesday and christmas next month. So lost my job, my car is farked...now what else can happen to make it three!!!!!:D

Congratulations, you are to be a father. :) :) :)

Seriously, bad news about the car, hope you get it sorted to your satisfaction and at reasonable cost. Best of luck.

Kev

Any update on the situation Brian ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom