Head Gasket Repair

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I have always been very sceptical of the claims of a quick fix out of a bottle, but quite a few years ago I had a Supra Turbo which developed a leak from the head gasket (A known fault with these engines) where I could actually see a small spray of coolant from the side of the block.
A friend suggested one of these block sealers, which I thought I would give it a go as to delay having the gasket replaced till I could get the cash together.
Anyway it did its job and stopped the leak, in fact when I sold the car about a year later it was still holding well.
I was even more surprised when I bumped into the chap who bought my car about 18 months later who was very happy and had not experienced problems with it. So although it may not be successful in every situation, it proved money well spent in my case.

I have always been very sceptical of the claims of a quick fix out of a bottle, but quite a few years ago I had a Supra Turbo which developed a leak from the head gasket (A known fault with these engines) where I could actually see a small spray of coolant from the side of the block.
A friend suggested one of these block sealers, which I thought I would give it a go as to delay having the gasket replaced till I could get the cash together.
Anyway it did its job and stopped the leak, in fact when I sold the car about a year later it was still holding well.
I was even more surprised when I bumped into the chap who bought my car about 18 months later who was very happy and had not experienced problems with it. So although it may not be successful in every situation, it proved money well spent in my case.

What you are describing is essentially a coolant system leak i.e. from the water passages to atmosphere. A pressure differential of 1.4 bar or about 20psi. This is an order of magnitude different from the pressure differential between the cylinder combustion chamber and the water passages which is where most CHG failure occurs.:eek: If the leak is there there is no known effective "pour in " solution IHMO sorry :(

What you are describing is essentially a coolant system leak i.e. from the water passages to atmosphere. A pressure differential of 1.4 bar or about 20psi. This is an order of magnitude different from the pressure differential between the cylinder combustion chamber and the water passages which is where most CHG failure occurs.:eek: If the leak is there there is no known effective "pour in " solution IHMO sorry :(

Agree completely, if compression is leaking the head will have to come off, if just a small coolant leak you may get away with a pour in sealer, i have done this on road sweeper engines, in cases where you just cannot find the leak but topping up is more frequent than should be, and have had good results.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom