head gasket sealant- viable option

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

kalvin928

Car
S205 C63s , Lotus Carlton replica, CLK 200 Kompressor
Hi all
got battered up 1.4 petrol Skoda estate which I use for work, its had quite a hard life and ever since I have had it (2 years)there has been slight oil leak... I normally don't need to add any oil for a couple of months and this is even with a daily commute into and around London. my main gripe is that the oil eventually saturates the alternator belt and then hey presto its all shredded like spaghetti ( 2 days ago) garage has said that head gasket needs changing (£400) debating whether to get it done and then keep hold for at least another year or chucking it in and buying another one? I had brakes done around 3000 miles ago, and serviced etc. but the £400 cost is causing a dilemma in that do I fix or replace car? I thought about using a gasket sealer? ok its not permanent fix but if it prevents further seeping and keeps the oil in/ back for another year, then may invest in a tub?
also must say that I don't have any issues relating to overheating/ losing water...

Last edited:
I'd dump it and get another runabout for work.
I'm in the same position as you, leaving the E55 at home and using an old '51 plate Focus for work. For £700, the Focus is brilliant. Anything major, move it on and replace for that money.

I'd dump it and get another runabout for work.
I'm in the same position as you, leaving the E55 at home and using an old '51 plate Focus for work. For £700, the Focus is brilliant. Anything major, move it on and replace for that money.

many thanks... if couldn't find skoda, was looking at focus estate as well

Well, if it's a 4 or 5 hundred quid banger that''ll be going to the scrapyard if you don't fix the hg I'd throw a couple of bottles of K-Seal into & see what happens.

If it doesn't work you've wasted about 15 quid, if it does it might go on for another year or 3.

Cue the inevitable response...........

Can't see how adding a sealant to the cooling system is going to seal an oil leak? :dk: Assuming you have a timing chain engine and not a toothed belt cambelt is it possible your oil leak is from the crankshaft seal behind the pulley?

Exactly my thoughts. How on earth is K-seal going to do anything for an oil leak!?!

K-seal is bad news for engines IMHO and ruins cooling systems.

Depending on how bad the leak is (can't be huuuge if it's not needing a top up for a couple of months at a time) can you not keep a spare alternator belt and keep an eye on it for a bit? Run it until you've got your money's worth out of the new brakes/life on the tyres/unexpired road tax/MOT etc and then scrap it/eBay for spares etc.

Plenty of good cars out there for a few hundred quid upwards so wouldn't spend £400 on repairs at this age personally.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom