Head Light Bulb Options

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rich74

Car
e class
Hello all, I have a 2008 Mercedes E220 cdi,

and I have a head light bulb gone, I have been told that a new one is £80, which I was shocked at.

Would anyone have any ideas where I may get a cheaper one, or if I can revert back to the non Xenon headlights?
Any advice would be gratefully received.

Thanks!!

Hello all, I have a 2008 Mercedes E220 cdi,

and I have a head light bulb gone, I have been told that a new one is £80, which I was shocked at.

Would anyone have any ideas where I may get a cheaper one, or if I can revert back to the non Xenon headlights?
Any advice would be gratefully received.

Thanks!!

They used to be even more expensive than that. But Ebay is your friend...pay about £20.You can'r revert to halogen because everything is different.

Thanks, do you know what the standard type I need if I look on ebay?
I can't believe they were move expensive than what they are now!

That is a complete rip off, I am beginning to not like my car very much.

Thanks, do you know what the standard type I need if I look on ebay?
I can't believe they were move expensive than what they are now!

That is a complete rip off, I am beginning to not like my car very much.

Either D2R or D2S...it should be in your manual.

Edit. I think the w211 has the D2S.

Thanks Renault, ok will check the manual.

A part from the price, what is the difference between Mercedes sourced D2S bulbs & OEM replacements?

A part from the price, what is the difference between Mercedes sourced D2S bulbs & OEM replacements?

Hi,
The only difference will be the manufacturer, I bought a pair off of e-bay for less than £20 postage free for my C43. I replaced both lamps as Xenon lamps have a tendancy to change colour over time so replacing just one you may see a colour difference. I just kept the old working one as a spare.
I agree they are expensive from MB but they are meant to last a lot longer than the halogen lamp, I believe there designed to have a life in the region of 80,000 hours.

80,000 hours?! Surely you must have years to go before they need replacing!

When I got my Vauxhall Omega with Xenon HIDs in 2001, I enquired at the dealer's regarding a spare bulb kit. The parts guy said they don't keep stock of HID bulbs; they very rarely go and in fact the vast majority of orders is for crash repairs. Indeed, during the seven years that I owned that car I had no problems with the Xenon bulbs...

I have checked my DS1 bulbs by swapping them from one side to the other, and it appears that the bulb is not the problem.

So it would indicate that the headlight control unit could be at fault.

How easy is the control unit to change, and can I get a replacement other than going to mercedes?

If anyone had a how to guide on how to replace the control unit that would be great!

Thank you Nick for your positive feedback,
I find it odd why people who don't have anything positive to say still feel the need to speak, Please Don't!!

Back to my last post if anyone has any info on the headlight control unit removal I would be grateful to receive it.

Thanks!

Last edited:
The hid ballast is usually under the headlamp and possiby a bumper off to replace it and approx £300 for the pleasure.

Hi,
On my Xenons they are made up of the bulbs an ignitor and a ballast unit, MB are quite expensive to replace there is a company that can supply new pattern/bosch items I,ve got a link to the site on my pc but that's been in a box buried in a spare room, if you Google OEM Xenons and OEM Xenons control units you should find them.
You might be able to get a second hand unit from Mercman or dronsfields or the like.
I think your control units are actually under the headlight and require you to take the headlight out to get access, and IIRC the ignitors in your car are actually In the headlight itself. I don,t believe the ignitors are available from MB and you have to replace the complete headlight.

How do I find out what xenon control unit I have on my car, without removing it?
And is there only one type for my car or is there a few different ones?

Thanks

Also one other question, is it safe to remove the xenon control unit,
and is there anything that should be done before removing the unit, except for removing the key and storing the key out of range?

Is there any other safety precautions I should take??

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom