head light polisher kit

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

optimusprime

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
Mercedes W124 260E M103
My friends wife purchased a Nissan Note nice little car . As i went outside to see her go i noticed the head lights .These are a plastic and not glass . Question i am asking is - has any member polished their head light glasses .And if so whats the best kit to purchase.

Actual grit paper of different grades up to the finest coarseness available.

Then work from coarse to fine and then polish using a normal polish. Use plenty of water as lubricant.

I did the front lights on a previous 210.
I kept meaning to restore, but never quite got round to it.
One day, I walked past the car, stopped and turned around back into the garage and set about them!

I used various grades of wet and dry - 2000 was the finest I had in stock.
To finish, a machine polisher with T-Cut Metal Polish.

Before.

6th-August-2017-011.jpg

6th-August-2017-023.jpg

Note the low speed on the machine polisher. The headlight lens is made of plastic!

6th-August-2017-028.jpg

T-Cut Metal Polish applied before polishing with polisher.

6th-August-2017-031.jpg

After.

6th-August-2017-058.jpg

6th-August-2017-037.jpg

6th-August-2017-061.jpg

6th-August-2017-067.jpg

The car was old and failed its next MOT, so I didn't bother masking around the headlights.
IIRC, the whole job took a tad over an hour.

Because it was a spur-of-the-moment thing, the only boob I made was not to cover the engine bay. Out with the pressure washer!

jrattan EDD1969 Ringman Thank you this gives me some idea what to purchase and also what to do .No problem for me but this is for a woman owner . So looks like i will have to do the job for her .I think i will go for the kit . Thank you .

The 3M kit is really good, everything you need to complete the job - even comes with masking tape.

You can use the backing pad/spindle to attach 3M spot foam pads for other compounding/polishing jobs too, well worth the sub £20 purchase price :cool:

If you go hard on the lights you'll most likely remove the UV protection too (although if they're yellow then it's most likely failed already)

You'll need to put some lacquer or a UV blocking sealant after otherwise they'll be yellow again in a few months

248 you are right but But as she purchased the car with headlights like this i told her to take it back asap she can be pulled over by the police i have never see lights in this condition brfore, MOT failure as they never went like this in 12 months .See how she gets on if he refuses then i will do them for her with the 3M kit

Hi Folks,
Taken from the SLK forum, this morning I cleaned my yellowing headlight using Autosol.
It does need some elbow crease but the results are very good.

In the summer I'll mask off the headlight and use a polisher (drill) and do another refresh.

I'm also going to protect the headlight using Meguiars protection polish.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B009YCTGKU/?tag=amazon0e9db-21

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom