Head of the Met slams speed cameras as cash generators.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Steve_Perry

MB Enthusiast
Car
CLS350CDI Grand Edition
Linky
Sir John Stevens said:
Britain's top policeman has slammed the use of speed cameras as a way of making money for regional forces.

Sir John Stevens, Commissioner of the Metropolitan Police, said: "I don't approve of the use of speed cameras as money making devices. The proper use for speed cameras is as a measure to lower the accident rate, not to raise cash."

He said he had insisted all the Met's cameras be deployed in places where there is a history of serious accidents.

This approach had worked in his territory cutting the accident rate by a quarter and reducing road deaths significantly.

"I have asked all my traffic chiefs to make sure that cameras are sited, and only sited, at places where there is a standing record of accidents caused by bad driving and where the presence of a camera will have a positive effect in reducing that toll," he said.

"I am not after people on a school run exceeding the limit by five or six miles an hour.

"I want my traffic policing to target the dangerous drivers, the road hogs, and the menaces who are driving unlicensed and uninsured."

It was refeshing to hear this on the news this morning :)

S.

Bang goes his career…

Well, bang goes his career… the Treasury bods will be after his nuts for not getting with the Revenue Generating Programme!

Andy

Pitty some of our politicians haven't got balls (and brains) like his.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom