Head unit upgrade and bluetooth add on

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

longclose

Car
CLK 280 ragtop
So I have just purchased a CLK W209 convertible for my wife. I want to upgrade the ICE and add bluetooth, I have found the OEM bluetooth module and have the wiring in the armrest to add bluetooth.

However I would like DAB and have found a multitude of aftermarket products on ebay that are a direct fit to the OEM head unit. Have any members upgraded to any of these units as the price is similar to the OEM blutooth handset. The aftermarket product has satnav, DAB and bluetooth integrated. It also states that it has a CAN interface so is it a direct plug and play or are there cons and problems to this retrofit. The price is similar to the OEM BT module so on the face of it appears a no brainer, however I suspect the steering wheel controls will not work with it?

Example here Android 9.0 Car Radio DAB+GPS Wifi DVD BT SWC Mercedes C/CLK/CLC Class W203 W209 687765848681 | eBay

So I have just purchased a CLK W209 convertible for my wife. I want to upgrade the ICE and add bluetooth, I have found the OEM bluetooth module and have the wiring in the armrest to add bluetooth.

However I would like DAB and have found a multitude of aftermarket products on ebay that are a direct fit to the OEM head unit. Have any members upgraded to any of these units as the price is similar to the OEM blutooth handset. The aftermarket product has satnav, DAB and bluetooth integrated. It also states that it has a CAN interface so is it a direct plug and play or are there cons and problems to this retrofit. The price is similar to the OEM BT module so on the face of it appears a no brainer, however I suspect the steering wheel controls will not work with it?

Example here Android 9.0 Car Radio DAB+GPS Wifi DVD BT SWC Mercedes C/CLK/CLC Class W203 W209 687765848681 | eBay

These Erisin units are fine but the one in your link is a low spec unit. Look for an Octacore CPU with 4gb ram and 32gb storage.

example - 8-Core Android 8.0 Car Stereo SatNav Mercedes BENZ C/CLK/CLC-Class W203 W209 DAB | eBay
The vehicle specific ones are virtually plug and play.

Thanks for all the responses much appreciated, looks like the Erisin unit is the way to go. So a few - well maybe more than a few - questions before I purchase:-

• Is it completely plug and play out the box or do I need to source additional cables
  • Anyone used the DAB+ USB dongle- does it come with a DAB antenna
  • Do all the steering wheel controls work seamlessly
  • Can you use the original fit microphone
  • OBD2 interface anyone using this, if so is it permanently connected to the OBD socket - if so does it draw power
  • What manufacture specific codes can you read or is it just OBD2 compliant to the engine
  • Are there any spare USB ports for phone charging after the DAB+ and OBD interface
  • How do you connect it to the internet without using a standalone 3G dongle to download apps and use on the go
  • Does it completely shut down to low power to keep quiescent power low to avoid battery drain
Sorry for all the questions just would like to know upfront what I need to plan for..

Cheers

Plug and play,
additional cable to extend to a new better postion mic, but the unit mic will work so you may consider improving later if not good enough. The mic is positioned for left hand driver.

Internet and data connection by tethering to your mobile, via the units wifi.

OBD BT sender for approx £4 won't flatten your battey and will provide lots of live data through the 'Torque' app, pay a few quids for the pro version later if you like it, like I did.
It will read and reset fault codes but is basic.
The live data setr up, of your choosing, is far more interesting.

No experience of DAB, tbh I don't want a sticky on antenna on the windscreen. I read DAB is hit and miss, even with Comand sometimes.

As long as you connect correctly, that permanent +12v and switched +12v as should be, it will retain memory on low power when not in use. No significant battery drain. Mine can sit for a week or more with OBD and unit connected with no issue.

I have installed 2 X 12volt USB supplies that run out to cordless phoine chargers on my dash via extensions. I hacven't found these units to charge too well, even though they are supposed to.
DC-DC 12V to 5V Mini/Micro/A type USB Dual Converter Step Down Power ATF | eBay

Automatic Clamping Cordless Charging in Car Charger Vent Mount Phone Holder Cour | eBay

Be cautious with USB kit, it can produce rf that can swamp your FM reception. The above links have / are working well for me.

Read the linked thread it will enlighten some. But as said be sure to go for the better spec unit. Lesser spec = lesser enjoyment and lesser stability.
The newer screens are brighter also, so a great improvement in bright sunshine, when it returns.

Many thanks m80, your responses may be in vain, the Esirin unit fits aperture 260mm, mine I think is the 254mm version which they do not have a variant of. So my CLK ragtop is a March 2006 registration Aventgarde with the round vents, apperntly this only fits the model with the square vents... It seems bizzare the Mercedes would manufacture two variants.

Anyone want to comment?

OK so the car was manufactured 19th December 2005 and has an Audio 20 Alpine ICU with a CD in the passenger luggage compartment. I understand that the earlier variant pre facelift is the Audio 10 platform... Still totally confused if you read the advert it is clear as mud... thanks for the ongoing support..

Android 9.0 Car Stereo Mercedes Benz C/CLC/CLK Class W209 W203 DAB+satnav 8-Core | eBay

- This unit will fit the following car model:
Mercedes Benz C-Class W203 2004-2007
(C180 C200 C220 C230 C240 C250 C270 C280 C300 C320 C350 C32 AMG C55 AMG C63 AMG)
Mercedes Benz CLC Class CLC W203 2008-2010
Mercedes Benz CLK Class W209 2005-2011
(CLK200 CLK220 CLK240 CLK270 CLK280 CLK320 CLK350 CLK430 CLK500 CLK550 CLK55 AMG CLK63 AMG)

Important Note:
1. This unit has front panel size 260mm(Top width)*120mm(High)*240mm(Bottom width), please check your
dashboard size before bid to avoid mistake!
2. If your W209 car's radio is similar with this item, but its front panel size has only 254mm*120mm*238mm (X),
this item will not fit your car. please don't bid it
3. If this unit can not fit your older BENZ C/CLK car, please find the other item 7963 in our shop

More items, welcome to visit out ebay store: carparts-mall | eBay Stores

Carpartsmal are actually Erisin.
I can't help w/o seeing the unit that's fitted. Appearnace is often a good guide.

Ask the seller to confirm correct fit, if it then doesn't you can return it at their expense.
But be ready for a ***** around from them, they don't always play nice, and I've had Erisin send a pre used unit to me in the past.

Thought, doesn't the style of your clocks show pre or post facelift?

Thank s m8, appreciate the time and effort! Think I will pull the head unit first before I order, the car is a project so dont need it day to day..

They are confused. The 05 onward facelift W209 CLK and W203 C *always* have different size stereos.

Pre-facelift they were the same (and it didn't go to the edge of the centre console)

R

Hi all, Newbie on this forum with no tech knowledge, forgive me if this is in the wrong place!
I've just installed the Erisin Android unit mentioned in the thread but I'm a bit confused with the reversing camera wiring.
There is a red wire tail at each end of the video input lead (yellow RCA) the camera end I believe gets wired to the reverse light power and the end at the head unit gets wired to the reverse wire but I don't have a reverse wire on the loom supplied so where do I connect it to? or does it work through the canbus system?

Attachments

• Audio.jpg
    Audio.jpg
    499.4 KB · Views: 16
I've answered my own question - the red tails are not required.
Power for the camera uses the LH (NS) reverse lamp wiring - Gry/Blu = Live & Brn = Earth. The head unit automatically recognises reverse. :)

I've answered my own question - the red tails are not required.
Power for the camera uses the LH (NS) reverse lamp wiring - Gry/Blu = Live & Brn = Earth. The head unit automatically recognises reverse. :)

You can take power from the reverse light or send it over the coax cable from the head unit.

Thanks for the reply - just have to connect the wire labelled "Illum" in to the internal lighting circuit now - will probably take the feed from the air con control illumination circuit below the head unit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom