Head-up displays To Be Offered On W205 and W222 Models

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

KillerHERTZ

Administrator
Staff member
Car
SL63 AMG
Head-up Display Coming Soon

Automotive News says Mercedes-Benz will offer an optional head-up display for the 2014 S-Class and the next-generation of the C-Class due next year.

Although at first Mercedes-Benz was reluctant as far as head-up displays were concerned, such a system will find its way on the S-Class and the upcoming C-Class if we were to believe company sources cited by AN. This will be available for both cars in the fall of 2014 and will be capable of projecting speed, navigation data and several warning lights onto the windshield.

Chances are it will also have a built-in warning function in case a pedestrian is spotted by the car's night vision system. The HUD will likely be offered for lots of other models in Mercedes-Benz's lineup, including the recently facelifted E-Class. A Daimler executive mentioned "this technology won't come just on one model. For the investment to pay off, it needs to be a comprehensive roll-out."

Mercedes-Benz was hesitant about a HUD because they considered it as a potential driver distraction. However, they apparently have changed their minds after seeing rival German automakers BMW and Audi offering a similar system for quite a while now, without any words about accidents caused by HUD distraction

meanwhile, BMW has had head up display for about a decade ..

even Chevrolet has it on the Camaro

Bit like Apple sometimes, talking about new additions that other manufacturers have had for a long time.

In my opinion, it's about time! These things should be an option if they do not want it as a standard.

I suppose "sorry officer I wasn't looking at the speedo" is out of the excuse book now then

I like this news.

Drove a couple of BMWs with HUD and I think it's good.

It's very good, and you manage to ignore it when driving but very easy to focus on it quickly when you need to.

I found it really hard and very tiring going back to a car without HUD.

When you focus on the HUD.....

HUD2.jpg

When you are looking down the road....

HUD.jpg

Tiring - really? You are supposed to move your eyes around anyway!

I read somewhere recently (might have been on here) that you can't read them through polarised sunglasses - is that true? I wonder how ordinary glasses wearers get on, as they can be polarised too.

Tiring - really? You are supposed to move your eyes around anyway!

Yeah tiring, once you have got used to it at the end of a long drive, I used to do the trip from ours to St.Tropez a lot and it was approx. 950 miles and took around 12 hours, having the HUD made such a difference, it just meant everything was there, it allowed you to dim the cluster right down to a level that make driving in the dark much easier but hard to see your speed etc. quickly.
So yeah, overall yeah, made driving much more relaxing and less tiring.

I did 9000 miles in the first few weeks of getting the 535d with HUD, went to S.France and back, then to Geneva to the motor show, then back over to Disneyland and then down to the S. France again, and you could tell straight away the benefits.
Wasn't an option I would have ticked if ordering new, but definitely something I would consider in the future, in the same way I used to think I would rather spend a grand on more toys than xenons until I got xenons for the first time, it is the same sort of benefit, just makes it more relaxing.

I read somewhere recently (might have been on here) that you can't read them through polarised sunglasses - is that true? I wonder how ordinary glasses wearers get on, as they can be polarised too.

I had no problem with my HUD with glasses, but I couldn't see my idrive screen, nearly missed the tunnel buying a new pair of Polarised Aviators the first time we went over in that car because of that.

But if the polarised windscreen is the same way round as your glasses it will go black, not just can't see the hud, you can't see out!

For me it's not the speedo that's important, it's the sat nav info.

Speed takes only like a quarter of a second for the brain to register, but the map takes a second to two for the brain to process.

Except on the Mini of course because you gotta move your head not just your eyes :p

Having driven a 3-series with HUD in Germany for a few days, I really wish my MB had one. It is one very useful addition.

For me it's not the speedo that's important, it's the sat nav info.

Speed takes only like a quarter of a second for the brain to register, but the map takes a second to two for the brain to process.

Except on the Mini of course because you gotta move your head not just your eyes :p

Having driven a 3-series with HUD in Germany for a few days, I really wish my MB had one. It is one very useful addition.

No idea if they're any good, but you can get smartphone apps that project a HUD. Garmin do one, too.

They are not good :(

Proper OEM HUD systems have a special coating on the windscreen, so everything is nice and clear.

Wonder how much would replacement windscreen cost?

It's very good, and you manage to ignore it when driving but very easy to focus on it quickly when you need to.

When you focus on the HUD.....

HUD2.jpg

When you are looking down the road....

HUD.jpg

I tested a BMW M4 which had HUD and in a few minutes was convinced that I'd definitely tick that box on a factory order for a new car, MB or BMW

I tested a BMW M4 which had HUD and in a few minutes was convinced that I'd definitely tick that box on a factory order for a new car, MB or BMW
I'm driving a W222 and specified a HUD at order. Very glad I did as it's a huge help! Personally the extra I value the most.

Not only does it mean I'm less distracted by the centre console screen (the HUD shows satnav and detected speed limit data), but that screen can be used for other things, e.g. adding to the route, wife selecting music, massage seat functions etc.

Sent from my G3112 using Tapatalk

I'm driving a W222 and specified a HUD at order. Very glad I did as it's a huge help! Personally the extra I value the most.

Not only does it mean I'm less distracted by the centre console screen (the HUD shows satnav and detected speed limit data), but that screen can be used for other things, e.g. adding to the route, wife selecting music, massage seat functions etc.

Sent from my G3112 using Tapatalk

The cost of the HUD compared with other extras (especially if they are made of carbon fibre) seams excellent value from most manufacturers who offer it

Ive got a GLC with HUD, its great - useful info put in the right place (such as current speed limit if you have speed limit assist)

Richard

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom