Headgasket done now new problem

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

derekpayne

Car
CLS 320 CDi 2008 "Facelift"
I have completed a headgasket replacement job on my C180 (W203), and it starts and runs, but, I have little control over the throttle, feels like a "flat spot" sometimes when I try and rev it up, it starts "hunting" sometimes and I have no control of throttle at all when that happens, if I stop the engine and restart it, it starts to run fine and then starts after a few moments to run erratic again, and it is ticking over too high at around 1200 rpm when its not "hunting".

I have checked all electrical connections and they appear to be OK, all vacuum pipes also appear to be OK, is it something that needs to be reset, there is probably a simple solution to this one but I don't know it yet.

Cheers

Sounds like an air leak, knackered MAF or loose valve guides.

Fault codes

Right had another look this morning in the light of day, started it up and ran fine, no misfires or hesitancy, let it warm up and gave it a run drove sweet.

Connected laptop to OBD socket to see what was going on and here are the fault codes, which I have since cleared and no more codes have appeared since:

P0304 Misfire on 4
P0502 Misfire on 2
P0638 Fault definition not available or manufacturer specific
P0410 Secondary air injection system malfunction
P0010 A camshaft position actuator circuit (bank 1)

I could have introduced some of these faults when I was disconnecting things to narrow the problem down as none of them have reapeared.

Can anyone define what these codes mean?

Cheers

May simply have been damp that accumulated on the HT components while the car was sitting around. This has now " burnt off" with the engine warming up. The cam actuator may just have needed filling with oil. I would monitor things for a while to see if they settle down.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom