Headlamp Beam Converters for Continental Driving

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

markjay

MB Master
SUPPORTER
Car
2022 Hyundai IONIQ 5 RWD / 2016 Suzuki Vitara AWD
I mean these:

http://i1.adis.ws/i/washford/151225

Are they mandatory for driving in France?

And also is it legal to drive with these when I am back in the UK, or would I need to take them off immediately after crossing back from France?

Thank you...

I assume they're mandatory in France as I was routinely stopped when I was there last summer in my s212 and had to explain that I didn't need them due to the ILS having a setting.

What is mandatory is that your dip beams don't dazzle by shining over towards the oncoming traffic.

Some cars can be set to dip vertically, rather than to the left. Others, which can't, need something to block off that sideways beam.

What area needs blocking depends on the make and model of lamp. On some, a few pieces of black tape do the job brilliantly! More generally, this type of "convertor" can be used. I suspect they simply block, rather than divert, but they are what's sold on the cross-channel ferries, and I guess the French authorities are used to them.

I always (if I remember) remove the blockers as soon as I'm on the ferry back, as I
like my dipped beams to be decent.

This from the AA:

"When driving through much of Europe it is the law that UK car headlamps are adjusted so not to dazzle oncoming drivers, as UK headlamps are designed for driving on the left-hand side of the road. Without adjustment the dipped beam could dazzle oncoming drivers and this could result in a fine. In some countries it is compulsory to use dipped headlights at all times when driving during the day.
Before driving on the continent, always ensure your lights meet legal requirements by using beam converters night and day (inc rain, fog etc). Remember to remove the beam converters as soon as you return to the UK."

I mean these:

http://i1.adis.ws/i/washford/151225

Are they mandatory for driving in France?

And also is it legal to drive with these when I am back in the UK, or would I need to take them off immediately after crossing back from France?

Thank you...
From personal experience those in the link are a pain to remove. They are adhesive all over and will really take some effort to remove at the roadside. There are others sold under the RAC brand amongst others that are only adhesive on the outer edge. Much easier to remove and still good enough to stick on for 10 months of the year.

I bought some of those as part of my 'kit' for our jaunt last summer.

Never fitted them because I never drove at night and didn't see a single Gendarme either.

When I fitted them for a drive overland to Greece in 2007 they fell off!

My C220 has built in adjustment to alter the beam laterally............and it hurts your bloody fingers to do it!!
I use a special tool..............a finger cutoff my wife's gardening gloves.
Tony

Last edited:
When I went to Brittany I had to have them on my headlamps, like you say they deflect the lights from dazzling other drivers whilst driving on the wrong side of the road, soon got used to driving on the wrong side but had to think about going the right way around a roundabout:eek:
I also had to have a GB sticker on the back and put yellow film over my fogs as well.
But that was about 10 years back now:thumb:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom