headlamp bulb upgrade

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

stevetiler

Car
C250 estate
Hi all,
I have a 12 plate c250 estate and was looking to upgrade the headlamp bulbs, want a nice white bright bulb that match (colour temp)
Am I right in thinking there are 2 H7 's for each headlamp plus a sidelight bulb?
Any recommendations?
Thanks Steve

Osram Nightbreaker + are very good. May not last as long as OEM bulbs though.
Make sure you buy from a reputable source, there are many games about...

The Ozzy's NB along with the Philips
X-treme Vision used to be the go to bulbs , but are down in the tests now others have caught up..

H7 test by Auto Express .

1. Philips RacingVision
2. Ring Xenon130
3. GE Megalight Ultra +130
4. Bosch Gigalight Plus 120
5. Osram Night Breaker Unlimited
6. Philips X-tremeVision +130
7. Twenty20 daylight120
8. Osram Night Breaker Laser
9. M-tech Powertec Platinum

However Philips RacingVision 150% have a short 200 hr life and Ring Xenon now have a 150 that claims to be the longest lasting 150 , I remember reading somewhere 350 hrs .

But all of these bulbs are still only a warm white 3700K .

Aren't OEM bulbs 4300k?

Stock H7 halogens will be
3200- 3300K .

Stock H7 halogens will be
3200- 3300K .

That sounds right as I have Osram Silver Star 2's which are noticeably whiter and they are only 3700K.

You know that the +70% etc of upgraded bulbs is nonsense. Yes they are whiter and have very accurately positioned filaments that improve illumination in parts of the beam but the overall lumen output is not 70% more, it's nearer 10% at best or they wouldn't be legal. I still think them a very worthwhile upgrade but don't believe the advertising.

No I don't think they are xenons, how do you tell?

looks like the main beam and high beam are two separate lamps as opposed to a dual filament bulb like on most cars ?

Thumb wheel headlamp adjuster by headlamp switch

Reactions: Ted
I'll have to check that later as the missus is out in it all day! I'm pretty sure they're halogens though

If they're normal bulbs, Nightbreaker Unlimited are good and seem to last, I have them in my dip beam which are on full time, been in for over 2 years now. NB Lazers are not worth the extra money (I've tried all 4 types of NB, Ultimates are best followed by NB+.)

Not even 4th place finishers anymore.

1. Philips RacingVision
2. Ring Xenon130
3. GE Megalight Ultra +130
4. Bosch Gigalight Plus 120
5. Osram Night Breaker Unlimited
6. Philips X-tremeVision +130
7. Twenty20 daylight120
8. Osram Night Breaker Laser
9. M-tech Powertec Platinum

ok thanks all for the info! What about K rating? I want them white without the blue so whats the highest K number before they turn blue?
Sorry for all the questions!

Which 5500-6000K is impossible unless the whole bulb was a darkish blue would cut alot of lumen output and certainly would not be E marked .

Which leaves us very few choices , but there is an all light blue glass 5000K E marked H7.

Have Osram Cool Blue in the Merc and Osram NB in the Volvo...TBH I prefer the light output of the Cool Blue, seems to be whiter and a better beam spread...

Definate improvement over stock , 4200K , depends how white OP wants to go .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom