headlamp bulb upgrade

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Xenon's for driving beam and H7 for high beam in the same headlamp is common.
The main reason is that traditional HIDs (Xenons) don't come-on quick enough, so are not good for night driving when you frequently need to switch the main beam on and off.

Some setups do have HIDs for high beam, but still have also Halogen for quick flashes.

LEDs have no such issue so can be used for both.

The main reason is that traditional HIDs (Xenons) don't come-on quick enough, so are not good for night driving when you frequently need to switch the main beam on and off.

Some setups do have HIDs for high beam, but still have also Halogen for quick flashes.

LEDs have no such issue so can be used for both.
All a bit academic at the moment as OP does not even know what headlamps are in the car :p

If they are Xenon's there will be no manual adjustment available to the driver.
Sorry, my bad, got that the wrong way round :wallbash:
On a 2009 model I'm sure it would be bi-xenon (HiD) dipped/main beam with halogen (H7) mains?

You wouldn’t get too white/off blue unless it dips into illegal territory

A combination of Nightbreaker +’s and some blue sidelight bulbs go quite well, however that I only know of the prefacelift, unsure sidelight bulbs (if any) the facelift takes

Typing reg onto the Autobulbs website is best way to see what can fit/what is installed

Road legal are the Ultra 5000k H7's , I'll post some pics up later with stock , Ring Xenon 130 ( Night Breaker and Philips X-tremeVision beaters ) and Ultra 5000k .

What fitment is the sides ?

Road legal are the Ultra 5000k H7's , I'll post some pics up later with stock , Ring Xenon 130 ( Night Breaker and Philips X-tremeVision beaters ) and Ultra 5000k .

What fitment is the sides ?

Sides I think are W5W

looks like the main beam and high beam are two separate lamps as opposed to a dual filament bulb like on most cars ?

Dual filament headlight bulbs??

Always separate and in different enclosures due to different lens requirements surely?

My previous cars without Xenon lights have always had individual bulbs for Dip and Main beam.

My MB's are the first cars i've owned that have separate dip and main beam lights, all the others including my current 968 cab have 1 headlight with twin filament bulbs!

I'd think twice about changing the sides to LED, my thought is that there is insufficient cooling in the sidelights, I've tried a number of different LED's in my sidelights (and they're a bitch to change unless you're a gynaeacologist!!), gave up and went back to ordinary bulbs.

I'm not talking about multiple Cree led lego look bulbs with high output dazzling in a reflector housing but something with the low output but 100% brighter like that of a Osram or Philips LED W5W ( T10 / 501 ) they would need resistors to work though .

... I've tried a number of different LED's in my sidelights (and they're a bitch to change unless you're a gynaecologist!!)
Indeed!
In my car it is absolutely impossible to grab the tip of the bulb holder to pull it out, so one ends up pulling it by the wires - that can't be good :(
I'm going to get a curved extra long nose pliers adapted to do this job, as I change my side lights about once a year (yes, they are LEDs) ...
Would probably replace the W5W bulb holders too, to eliminate potential problems with weakened connectors, due to been pulled by the wires.

And, IIRC, they are not straight "fore and aft" aligned, but angled slightly towards the centre of the engine bay. you're correct about needing long thin pliers for the job thought, as well as a small inspection mirror preferably with its own light, so you can try to see what you're doing!

Reactions: GLK
Yes, I'm going to link a 5mm endoscope camera I have, with a cheap android tablet (as opposed to my head unit), so I can have an improvised monitor for jobs like that.

I was looking at some spark plug removal pliers, the curve looks workable - as the 169 engine bay is so tightly packed, there no space to the back of headlights to use normal pliers: it's barely enough to stick one's hand in ...

New 2018 October H7 test .

https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/accessori ... o-buy-2018

Philips RacingVision still top but bare in mind the short bulb life .

Ring Xenon 130 beats Ring Xenon 150 , just , and Osram catches up with it's
Osram Night Breaker Laser Next Generation , lol .

For those with halogens !

You do come across strange speced cars , AMG Sport plus and those with panoramic roof and Van Helsing coach candles .

Sorry all - been busy ! Deffo halogens and I went with the Osram as per the list that was put up-bugger to change , scratched my hands to pieces!! Especially the sidelight bulbs
Thanks for all the advice- much appreciated

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom