headlight Alignment - Europe

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

flamez

Car
SLK 200 Kompressor
Hi I'm planning to go to Europe in my R171, do I have to go to the dealers to realign the headlights?

In my previous BMW there was a switch behind the headlight but I cant see one on the merc and nothing in the handbook.

There is a lever inside the headlamp unit, but any hamfistedness with it will cost you dear. Also, the R171 headlamps are quite difficult to reach so I let the supplying dealer get scratched hands and wrists doing it. If it has Xenon's then that's another reason I'd ask the dealer to do it.

Sorry, meant to say that as you've just recently bought the car the supplying dealer will probably do the changeover for free. Certainly our dealer did.

BTW, were are you off to? (being nosey :p )

Ooops sorry pressed the wrong button,

Maybe german xmas markets

Springtime to Champagne

Summer road trip to Italy

Its just a bit of a pain to keep going in and out of dealers

Sounds like a good bunch of trips :thumb:

I can recommend a great hotel in the Dolomites that's roadster (and biker) friendly if you're interested.

OK...

We stayed here, at the Hotel Gran Paradis in the Val di Fassa in late June this year. It's perfectly situated for day drives over the Pordoi, Giau, Gardena and many other passes in the Dolomiti. It's a family run place, does great food, has a good wine selection and the owner has a Ducati Monster with tyres that testify to how quite hard he rides. It even has a huge secure garage with wash bay! The prices are very reasonable (I'd suggest booking half-board for best value) and they give you a road book with suggested tours in the locale when you check in :)

Other places I'd recommend which have secure private parking or a private garage include:

The Tramser Hof in Landeck. Another great value place, ideally situated for a stop on the way to Italy, and I have a stunning 200-mile day ride route from there that takes you over the famous Passo dello Stelvio and back through the Swiss countryside. The drive over the nearby Timmelsjoch pass (especially the descent to Merano) as you head south to Italy is also superb

The Hotel Gardesana in Torri del Benaco which is a gorgeous small hotel in an idyllic spot on the eastern shore of Lake Garda

The Hotel Pallanza in Verbania on the western side of Lake Maggiore. Comfortable and in a good spot for the ferries without being too overrun by the tourist hordes

I have a number of routes that I've used for motorcycle holidays in the Italian Lakes and the Dolomites that would translate well to a trip in an SLK. Give me a shout if you'd like more info :thumb:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom