headlight buzzer

Discussion in 'Electronics' started by para alpha, Sep 3, 2008.

1. para alpha

para alpha Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    C180 ESPRIT (w202)
    The C180 has been suffering flat battery on more than one occasion in the past month. I have found the reason for it? My wife has a habit of driving the car with the side lights on when the weather starts getting bad. I notice this afternoon after we got out of the car that the ignition was off, key removed, sidelights on and no warning buzzer??? So what I would like to know is where is the buzzer located and how much for a replacement?

2. ms500

ms500 Banned

It could be a fuse, the same thing happened on my W124.

3. Diesel Benz

Diesel Benz Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    222.132 & 221.122 & 213.050 & 906.633
    Have tried if the buzzer works with main lights left on? Perhaps it is not even intended to make noise from side lights as those can be intentionally left on. I didn't try it on my car and I don't know how it behaves as I have lights automatically always on (and automatically off then too). Shouldn't she also learn using head lights instead of side lights only?

4. PJH

PJH Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    C180k for Wifey, Focus Ecoboost 6 speed
    Shouldn't she get into thw habit of looking back at the car as she walks away ?
    (Thinking, "have I left the lights on ?")

5. Diesel Benz

Car:
    I guess she might learn two things, I was thinking about driving safety from driving with main lights on instead of parking lights only. If I had an option to teach one or two things about the car to my wife, I would teach one only. :rolleyes: If one drives with main lights, then at least the buzzer should remind about lights and (I assume) there would be no need to teach one looking after the car when parked. :)

6. OP
    OP
    para alpha

Car:
    C180 ESPRIT (w202)
    So you don't know what the problem is with the buzzer then? So if there is a problem with your wife's car she walks away from it, looks over her shoulder and it repairs it's self?
    If people can not give me advice on sorting out the problem, please refrain from posting silly comments. I'm only trying to sort out the problem with MY car and not sort out the short falling of my wife's driving. If I needed that, I would get her to consult an approved driving instructor! Thanks

Last edited: Sep 3, 2008
  7. OP
    OP
    para alpha

Car:
    C180 ESPRIT (w202)
    I'll check the fuse tomorrow... Thanks for the help!!

8. Dec

Dec Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    C180,A.
    I think it is located on the back of the cluster circuit board. Number 1 in picture looks like a buzzer as dose number 2 but to a much lesser degree, someone else may confirm for sure.

The circuit board is well put together so I think that would be the very last thing to cause the fault, it probably wouldn’t be worth trying to replace or repair it given the task that it has to perform.

Each of the front doors when opened, trigger the buzzer when side or dipped lights are on, the back aren’t involved, so you should investigate the door pins first, the next thing to check would be the main light switch dial. Don’t know much about that, as I have never fiddled with it.

Also dose the courtesy light operate normally when door is opened?

Dec

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 3, 2008
  9. OP
    OP
    para alpha

Car:
    C180 ESPRIT (w202)
    It was a fuse! I changed the fuse and it worked!!!! Thanks for all the help everyone....

10. Diesel Benz

Car:
    Out of curiosity, was it a fuse for the PSE unit? I don't find a fuse that would affect the buzzer only, was central locking and everything related working before the fuse was replaced?

11. OP
    OP
    para alpha

Car:
    C180 ESPRIT (w202)
    funny enough, some other things where also effected as you said and didn't notice (I haven't drove the car for weeks), but all is working fine now... But just in case, there is a mobile Merc Mechanic who does the all the heavy work for me. I do most other things myself, I don't mind getting my hands dirty. I'm going to get Billy (The mobile Merc Mechanic) to have a good look at it, just in case it's a intermittent fault.