Headlight C lights as DLR's

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

87djames

Car
Mercedes W204 C220
Hi,

I'm debating tackling some hard wiring to have my C lights in the facelift W204 C Class on and linked to my DLR's, has anyone done this before and can give an hints or tips?

What are C lights?

What are C lights?

On the W204 facelift, the Xenon/HID option has two C-shaped lights, one on each side (one is an inverted 'C', obviously):

r.png

The C-shape is intentional BTW (according to MB marketing blurb)

Hi,

I'm debating tackling some hard wiring to have my C lights in the facelift W204 C Class on and linked to my DLR's, has anyone done this before and can give an hints or tips?

DRL's need to be high-intensity in daylight, and dim at night. Not sure how you can achieve it with hard-wired parking lights? Also, you’ll likely confuse the ECU that controls the Intelligent Light System.

DRL's need to be high-intensity in daylight, and dim at night. Not sure how you can achieve it with hard-wired parking lights? Also, you’ll likely confuse the ECU that controls the Intelligent Light System.

although these are classed as "parking lights" they look just a bright as the DLR's

along the lines of this.. but all the time when lights are set to "AUTO" and in the day

mb17.jpg

How about simply driving with the headlights (dipped beam) switched-on at all times (instead of Auto)? I used to do this on my W203 that didn't have DRLs. Your DRLs might be dimmed though.

Alternatively, you could just switch on the parking lights whenever you are driving in daylight, but you'll need to remember to turn the lights switch back to Auto when it gets darker. Like in the old days, before automatic headlights were invented...

How about simply driving with the headlights (dipped beam) switched-on at all times (instead of Auto)? I used to do this on my W203 that didn't have DRLs. Your DRLs might be dimmed though.

Alternatively, you could just switch on the parking lights whenever you are driving in daylight, but you'll need to remember to turn the lights switch back to Auto when it gets darker. Like in the old days, before automatic headlights were invented...

yeah ... but its not really the look I'd like ... I'm being greedy I want DLR's & C's but no headlights lol ,,,,,,, just to be awkward

yeah ... but its not really the look I'd like ... I'm being greedy I want DLR's & C's but no headlights lol ,,,,,,, just to be awkward

Turning-on the parking lights manually should give you that? I don't think it switches-off or dimms the DRLs, but worth checking.

won't they need to extinguish when the indicators are on?

won't they need to extinguish when the indicators are on?

That could be another reason why they should not be wired separately from the rest of the headlamp... loss of front indicators (and an MOT failure).

I can imagine a whole world of pain in rewiring headlamp elements to operate separately, or not as designed. The front SAM is likely to throw a wobbly, error messages and codes generated...

I can imagine a whole world of pain in rewiring headlamp elements to operate separately, or not as designed. The front SAM is likely to throw a wobbly, error messages and codes generated...

I had kerb lights retrofitted to the front doors and wired as per the original fitment, i.e. into the door control module, which is in turn controlled by the front SAM. It then turned-out that on the W204 (facelift) the kerb lights were part of the Luxury Pack option, which included front and rear door kerb lights, external door handle illumination, and front footwell lighting. So the only way to get the car to actually switch-on the front door kerb lights was to SCN code the Luxury Pack option to the car so that the front SAM will know that the front door kerb lights are there. Of course, a STAR scan now shows faulty rear door kerb lights, faulty external door handle illumination, and faulty front footwell lighting.... :doh:

Luckily there are no errors on the dash... but yes, messing with the SAM options can lead to a world of pain.

stick some white luminescent tape on the headlamp lens....

hmmmm all very true and this is why I thought putting it on here would be best ...

I have found this online though .... have a watch people and let me know what you think

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

hmmmm all very true and this is why I thought putting it on here would be best ...

I have found this online though .... have a watch people and let me know what you think

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

So there's your answer.... what more can we add?

So there's your answer.... what more can we add?
true ... just hope the UK wiring / set up etc is the same (fingers crossed)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom