Headlight Condensation - New C Class

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

moggymog

Car
BMW 535D F11 M-Sport
Question for all the new C Class owners - Has anyone noticed any condensation in their headlights during the recent bad weather?

I was trying to get out of the rain last night and I noticed that both headlights had condensation along the bottom (around the indicator).:eek:

Haven't had the chance to pop to the dealer yet but I was wondering if there is a known fault with these as it seems unlikely that both are suffering - the car is only 4 days old!! :dk:

Hi,Have a good read of your instruction book, in mine it says this is normal, and will go shortly after driving with your light on.

WOODYTHEWISE said:
Hi,Have a good read of your instruction book, in mine it says this is normal, and will go shortly after driving with your light on.

X2 the heat from the bulbs dissipates it

The condensation should disappear after a while once the headlights are turned on. If it doesn't dry out in the described time then it's a visit to the dealers for a warranty swap out.

The condensation should disappear after a while once the headlights are turned on. If it doesn't dry out in the described time then it's a visit to the dealers for a warranty swap out.

Good luck with that. MB do not recognise headlamp fogging as a fault and claims will not be met.

I've had headlights replaced on a Vauxhall Vectra under warranty for condensation not drying up properly. Their set time limit is 20 mins.

This is MB not Vx :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Thanks guys,

I guess the moral of the story (like my wife always tells me) is to "read the instructions".

I'll keep an eye on them but I'm sure you're all right - other than that the car is great, just need more excuses to drive it!!

Moggy, mine does it as well. Definitely less as time is passing - I only notice it in wet weather. They're clear the rest of the time.

As others have said, the manual does refer to it, meaning it's "normal".

Hi there, much like you I bought a brand new C Class and posted about this the first night I got it because i'd noticed the same thing. Does it look like the image below??

If so I've noticed it goes away itself after a short while driving it, and has been occurring less as the weeks go by.

Enjoy the car mate
Lovely ride isn't it ?:rock:

Attachments

• photo (1).JPG
    photo (1).JPG
    112.2 KB · Views: 219
Hi Rayman86,

Yeah it looks exactly like the picture (only in Black :D) - I guess I was just over reacting???

Yeah lovely car - can't wait for the weather to change so it stays cleaner for longer. Who buys a car in the middle of winter? :doh:

Both my SLK & C suffered from it, and easy to cure.

The heat from the lights causes the condensation to evaporate. So after a longish drive with the headlights on and you have got home, preferably on a dry day, remove the bulb access cover on the back of the headlight, blutak a silica gel pack (you get them in packaging for electrical goods) on the inside of the cover, and replace.

Remove the gel after an hour, job done. It will gradually reappear as the heating/cooling of the light unit brings damp air into the lamp unit again.

I'm just going through this design process with a new car. All modern lamps are not hermetically sealed but carefully vented. They are now such large volumes that complete sealing is not an option with all the pressure and temperature variations they have to withstand. (Think of that small milk container you open on an aircraft!)
We have some extremely damp air here in GB and inevitably there is going to be some condensation occasionally.
...but it bugs the hell out of me when the instrument cluster on my Aprillia bike does the same thing:eek:

Yup, my xenons have a collapsed soft tube vent on the rear of the units. Stops muck, insects etc getting in but allows pressure equalisation.

...but it bugs the hell out of me when the instrument cluster on my Aprillia bike does the same thing:eek:

A friend of mine has to put carrier bags over the handlebar switchgear on his Aprillia when he parks up and it's raining, otherwise everything shorts out.

The joys of Italian vehicle ownership!

Same with my Ducati. They actually recommend that you avoid using water to clean anywhere near the front end to avoid the headlight condensation on these Italian bikes!

Same with my Ducati. They actually recommend that you avoid using water to clean anywhere near the front end to avoid the headlight condensation on these Italian bikes!

Thats because condensation will put the candle out in the Ducati light! ;)
(Ex 996 owner here. Great bike, terrible lights! :D).

Hi there, much like you I bought a brand new C Class and posted about this the first night I got it because i'd noticed the same thing. Does it look like the image below??

If so I've noticed it goes away itself after a short while driving it, and has been occurring less as the weeks go by.

Enjoy the car mate
Lovely ride isn't it ?:rock:

I have exactly this issue, Its been about 5 days of ownership from new now and the condensation is still there, ive had a couple of 2 hour trips and its not evaporated.

Is this something I could put in under warranty ?

Got my new class c two weeks ago and I have the same problem.... Condensation at the bottom corner which it disappear after about 1 hour....
I used to ride Aprilia tuono and e dashboard used to do the same ....
GB weather is not helping !

C-Class Headlights

Have had my New C-Class since 24.12.2015 and the same thing happened to my Headlights after a few days with condensation on the inside.Spoke to my MB Dealer and they are taking my car in this Wednesday to replace them.So don't let them fog you off (excuse the pun) stick with it you will get a result on this.I have spoken to several garages and they all say that this is not right,also this will also be an MOT failure.So stick with it and don't let MB tell you otherwise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom