Headlight error after installing new LED Bulbs (w/ Decoder)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ntaubman

Car
2001 SL 500
Just replaced the stock bulbs in my R129 with a set of LED bulbs. Installation went smoothly, including the usage of a decoder.

However I am now getting a warning light on the dash for the headlights and I cant get it to go away. All lights are confirmed working. Any help would be much appreciated!

More than likely the "decoder" is designed for Canbus which the majority of 129s don't have, and the very late models that do don't use it for the lighting circuits.

You'll need to add resistance to get the appropriate current drop that you'd expect for a normal bulb.

More than likely the "decoder" is designed for Canbus which the majority of 129s don't have, and the very late models that do don't use it for the lighting circuits.

You'll need to add resistance to get the appropriate current drop that you'd expect for a normal bulb.
Got it. In a separate thread Philips 9004 VisionPlus is being recommended as a suggested replacement for my original bulbs. Im not looking for anything crazy in terms of upgrade cost or total overhaul in headlights, just a tad better visibility at night.
I should probably just return the LEDs + decoder I purchased?

All Halogen-to-LED bulb conversion manufacturers clearly state that LED conversions are illegal for use on public roads in any country that adopted the UNECE lighting regulations, and this includes both the EU and UK. However, LED bulb conversions can be used for off-road driving, racing, or on private land (expect in Germany where the sale of non-compliant lighting is banned altogether).

Last edited:
Reactions: 190
Got it. In a separate thread Philips 9004 VisionPlus is being recommended as a suggested replacement for my original bulbs. Im not looking for anything crazy in terms of upgrade cost or total overhaul in headlights, just a tad better visibility at night.
I should probably just return the LEDs + decoder I purchased?

ISTR that the US-spec lights on the 129 are really quite poor compared to what was specified in the UK and Europe, and that a lot of US owners saw a great improvement by switching to Euro-spec units. That may be something to consider, although with switching to the VisionPlus/Osram Nightbreaker style bulbs

Or you know, if you actually wanted to help you could’ve said this outright. Thank you for sharing the article though.
Apologies for not telling in the right way but I always think it is better to provide some background or corroboration otherwise it is just some random bloke saying something that may or may not be true.

Replace them with Osram Nightbreaker <latest> bulbs. (The keep changing the <latest> ) - correct load so the bulb failure system will be happy and significantly brighter without dazzling people if your headlights are correctly adjusted. Put them in my kids cars to replace the candles supplied by Mini and VW. Luckily my Mercedeses have Xenon/LED :)

Replace them with Osram Nightbreaker <latest> bulbs. (The keep changing the <latest> ) - correct load so the bulb failure system will be happy and significantly brighter without dazzling people if your headlights are correctly adjusted. Put them in my kids cars to replace the candles supplied by Mini and VW. Luckily my Mercedeses have Xenon/LED :)
I went with Philips Automotive Lighting 9004 X-tremeVision per some other suggestions. It sounds like anything other than the stock bulbs (or who knows how old they are) will be an upgrade. These LEDs I tried have been a hassle altogether. Won't register when I turn on high beams (even though they seem to start on high beam mode). Who knows!

Not top dog anymore .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom