Headlight restoration W/S211 2004 year

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

350cls

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
E55k AMG Sold / S211 E320 CDI I6 W212 E63 6.2 N/A saloon.
I thought I would start a new thread. I had a go at restoring the oxidize headlamps on our S211 E320 CDI 2004 model.

First off I cleaned the headlamps with water and microfiber clothes and the body work around the lamps. I then attached musking tape around the body work that surrounds the lamps.

I did at first use a sanding pad attached to my drill, I didn't personally like this method as couldn't get great feel for the sanding process. So I went at it manually with 800 grit wet and dry sand paper. Built up a nice haze and then watered and cleaned the lamps. I then went with a 1200 grit sand paper spraying the headlamps before sanding. Then wash and wipe dry. I then attached a buffer pad to my drill using a small amount of cleaning compound for headlights and plastics and other materials. Come up ok at this stage.

I then washed cleaned and dry the units.

I then put on a polishing pad, using a turtle Wax product for cleaning headlamps. Again a nice 10p worth full on the bigger lamps spreading it out evenly as possible. Then I put the polisher pad attached to my drill to the lamps. I think they come up ok to be honest. The musking tape I had picked up wasn't the best to be fair. Next time if it happens I'll get a better/thicker width musking tape.

I'll attach some before and after photos. Just need to clean the car now the lights show it up 😆👍

Telling me images to big 😡

What phone are you posting from? You can usually select the image size when you go to upload them and choose smaller ones (less than 1MB)

Screenshot_20220117-142633.pngScreenshot_20220117-142633.pngScreenshot_20220117-142219.pngScreenshot_20220117-141939.png
Before

Screenshot_20220117-142424.png
Before
After

Screenshot_20220117-142534.png
Screenshot_20220117-142633.png
Screenshot_20220117-142934.png
Screenshot_20220117-143055.png
Screenshot_20220117-143055.png

So not a bad effort. The truth will come apparent later once it's dark. I feel it has improved the look. Not a bad job. 👍

I've screen shot them now but Cheers for the advice.

I don't know why they have become all jumbled up. I uploaded all the before then the after shots.

It seems to have mixed them all up. I should have taken some before shots closer up, as it looks improved but not so much through the camera, as it does in person if that makes sense. An hour's work wasn't to bad with results.

Good work:thumb:

If you spray the lens with a clear lacquer, they will stay clear for longer.

Thank you 👍. I'll get some clear lacquer. I did read, not sure if correct that coating with clear lacquer can have an affect when restoring the headlamps again. Not sure the car will last until I have to do it again lol.

The clear lacquer will come off with wet and dry and the drill if you need to polish them again.
I clear lacquered my E55 lens after polishing and they looked even better.

Ok, just the one coat or a couple, obviously letting dry between coats?

Don't use just any clear coat, get some E-tech it's not cheap at £18.00 but is the proper stuff to use.

Ok, just the one coat or a couple, obviously letting dry between coats?
I sprayed one coat only.
As for the above post, I can only tell of my experience using clear coat. Maybe there is better, but my lens still looked good 18 months later when I sold it.

Thanks for the advice lads. 👍

I wouldn’t bother with clear coat on them, it’s the lacquer that goes yellow with UV/oxidisation from the factory. If the plastic lenses need an occasional polish in the future you won’t have to sand the coating off again :)

I did the lenses on my 2004 E55K and that was parked outside/used in all weathers and they still looked perfect 3+ years later :cool:

Spend the tenner on a pair of Philips silver vision indicator bulbs instead ;)

Much improved visability I have noticed now the lamp lenses have been tided up. Couple nights now driving in the dark of night, I thought I was in the W212 for a minute lol. Joking aside, big improvement to what it was with the shabby looking oxidized lamps.

Would newer bulbs improve this even more. And I would like to maybe change the orange side light bulbs to a brighter white colour.

Any advice much appreciated?

I wouldn’t bother with clear coat on them, it’s the lacquer that goes yellow with UV/oxidisation from the factory. If the plastic lenses need an occasional polish in the future you won’t have to sand the coating off again :)

I did the lenses on my 2004 E55K and that was parked outside/used in all weathers and they still looked perfect 3+ years later :cool:

Spend the tenner on a pair of Philips silver vision indicator bulbs instead ;)
I agree with this but i did find the bespoke sealer I added the first time I did it gave a much "crisper" look. But yes when I did it again getting the sealer off took more time than the cleaning, so now I just give them a light pollish every 6 months or so . 10 mins and its done.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom