Headlight restoration

• Thread starter Deleted member 138801
  • Start date
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 138801

so I decided to have a go with the 3m headlight restoration kit, as the sun has decided to show its face it got going. The kits easy to use, definitely use the tape or if you have the lights off the vehicle even better. I gave the ML a good wash first to clean off the weeks worth of dead bugs and then dried it off for masking. The scariest part was using the first sanding pad, sort of part of no return situation, the dust from the contaminated plastic was plentiful. I followed all the instructions up to the wet sanding stage, I used loads of water and gave the light multiple passses until I was happy. I used the cutting paste supplied, went over the light more times than it advised, it polished them up great. As the light and bodywork covered in light dust I gave it another clean, fresh water rinse, then I used poor boys light body colour polish to finish the lights off. Overall a good clean up, I’ll give them another going over in a few weeks. Ive posted photos on the gallery part of the site as they won’t upload here due to size?

I have tried sanding and polishing... it just doesn’t last, only a few months.

Here is what ended up doing. 1 year onwards and they still look the same.

My Headlight Restoration Without Polishing
Couldn’t see the pictures, but clear lacquer is definitely something for me to look at at some point. If I do them it’ll be will a spray gun rather than a can, I can paint much better that way

When you polish them, it removes the protection. You could use a headlamp sealant

When you polish them, it removes the protection. You could use a headlamp sealant

The poor boys should give it some extra cover, I’ll look at other products as I go through the seasons

Did mine nearly two years ago ( wet sanding 800 to 3000 in stages, then machine polished) still crystal clear.

Funnily enough I sorted the headlights on my W211 just the other day using the Meguiars coating. I tried wet sanding and polishing the first time round but they never same up that well. This is the second time I've used the Meguiars spray on coating, the can certainly has plenty of applications in it.

FlkHUjl.jpg

Have a look at the thread here.

This lasts about 12 months, I was just lazy in that I'd not got round to re-applying it.

Funnily enough I sorted the headlights on my W211 just the other day using the Meguiars coating. I tried wet sanding and polishing the first time round but they never same up that well. This is the second time I've used the Meguiars spray on coating, the can certainly has plenty of applications in it.

FlkHUjl.jpg

Have a look at the thread here.

This lasts about 12 months, I was just lazy in that I'd not got round to re-applying it.

I may try this method after another session with the wet sanding to see if it helps.

I did mine some time ago - earlier in the year...

I just got some P2000 followed by P3000 W&D and then polished using a Dimple Sponge on a Drill on a low speed with some Polishing Paste, and then finished off using some meguiars Cleaner Wax by Hand.

Did the job ok because one Headlight was like new and the other badly faded!

Before:

After:

Last edited:
Your engine bay looks amazing - can I ask what you use on it to keep it that way, please don't say "Baby Wipes" - I hate the smell of them..
Aerospace 303 is good stuff for engine bay plastics

Your engine bay looks amazing - can I ask what you use on it to keep it that way, please don't say "Baby Wipes" - I hate the smell of them..

Hi.
Thank you, you're very kind.....

I just use this after cleaning. In fact I use it on all of the Plastic & Vinyl parts like the Scuttle and the Wiper Cover which usually looks terrible on these cars with the Single Wiper.

On the Engine I just follow the same procedure as in the Video. As I have done on all my cars. I know there are other products, but this is my personal choice. And my motto is - "If it's not broken, don't fix it"... :)

Vinyl & Rubber Care

I hope this is of some help.

Do I have to remove the glass of the headlights if I need to polish or clean them?

I didn't, I just Masked them off nicely..... The one thing you cannot do is rush this job. Take your time, relax, have a cuppa intermittently. Enjoy! :cool:

Just to add on here quickly, I thought I would share the Video I got the idea from. I basically followed the same procedure other than I used 2000 & 3000 instead of 1200 & 2000, also I just used the Polishing Compound I had in a jar I got from a friendly spray shop. Oh, and I left the Masking on until I had finished.

And I know these guys come over a bit "wise-guy", but their video helped me and you will be amazed at how quickly they did the job!
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I'm using Meguiars headlight protector which you just apply with a cloth. Super easy and seems to work. Had a nightmare with some cheapo stuff I got on ebay - it made a truly epic mess! Had to sand the lights back down to get it off and it stuck the masking tape to the wings for good measure :wallbash:

If you don't apply some sort of UV sealant they fade again in no time.

Thanks Delta6a, I have been considering this exact kit for my new CLK. Comparing it to my E class, it NEEDS it

Meguires kit, which includes some sandpaper, a mop head that fits into an electric drill and some polishing fluid.
Masked off headlights with paper masking tape, took me about half and hour to do both lights.
Before..
55766122d2a6e1ac374443bb58a84828.jpg

After...
b1fb0831f33fcec11d20fbef8740140b.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: Abb

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom