Headlight switch bulb - what is it called or where can I get one?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Blobsta

Car
S202 C43 Wagon
Having tried the search and trawled through dozens of "related" posts I'm asking the question now. Can anyone tell me what type of bulb I need to replace the one in my headlight switch please? The only part that doesn't light up is the bit that tells you what the headlight switch is pointing at, I guess this is because it should always be lit so you can find it in the dark?

I have a feeling that I did this once before on my previous CLK but it was so many years ago I can't be sure and I'd like to get the bulb before I strip the switch down.

If you have a reference diagram or knowledge of this or even a slightly curt reply with link to a thread and how to use the search successfully will be fine, I'd really appreciate it, it's a very small thing but it really niggles me that it doesn't work. A small bulb failing on an 11 year old car is not unreasonable but I have to fix it.

Thanks as always

1. Firstly make sure the bulb is actually blown... the light is very very dim and often confused with a blown bulb.

2. I believe that the bulb is integral, I.e. you'll need to get a complete second hand switch of eBsy, unless you are able to remove it and prise it open.

Many headlamp switches didn't have illumination. Are you sure there's a bulb there?

1. Firstly make sure the bulb is actually blown... the light is very very dim and often confused with a blown bulb.

2. I believe that the bulb is integral, I.e. you'll need to get a complete second hand switch of eBsy, unless you are able to remove it and prise it open.
Many headlamp switches didn't have illumination. Are you sure there's a bulb there?

The rest of the switch panel is lit (mirrors, headlamp wash etc) so yes I'm fairly sure the bulb is blown.

I was hoping someone would have the Info so I didn't have to strip the switch twice. I'll do it and post a "how to" if it's possible.

Have a read here

Took a pic tonight. I absolutely refuse to accept that this is how the unit was designed to be. Nobody, not least a German engineer looked at this and thought "yes, that makes perfect sense. I'm happy with this system".

50357383307_46d997e49d_b.jpg

I took it apart this afternoon and I am not impressed! Clearly I am corrected by those who said that some aren't lit, I stand by my comments that it makes no sense to do that but to actually put the terminals there and not fit the SMDs to the board beggars belief!
50360338453_5c430c8762_b.jpg

I am so cross about this as I now need to buy another switch to remove the SMDs from to fit to the board on mine so that the colour will match! Grr, Mercedes, what on earth?!?!?

When I had bi-xenons retrofitted I had to get the corresponding switch panel for the headlamp washer switch. The original panel wasn't illuminated, the replacement was. Dealership suggested it was simply model grade differentiation...

Hi,
Has you're existing switch got the respective surface mounted resistors as well?, so you only have to add the SMD's?
Do keep the post updated, as I feel sure others will want to do this as well I certainly will.
My 207 65 Plate with ILS is exactly the same, going to look at my 219 MY 2006 with Bi-Xenons as I don't think that is fully illuminated either.

Hi,
Has you're existing switch got the respective surface mounted resistors as well?, so you only have to add the SMD's?
Do keep the post updated, as I feel sure others will want to do this as well I certainly will.
My 207 65 Plate with ILS is exactly the same, going to look at my 219 MY 2006 with Bi-Xenons as I don't think that is fully illuminated either.

This is my only switch currently so I'll be looking for used one at some point soon that I can strip down to steal the SMDs from. Yes, I'm happy to update as I go of course.

I can feel my blood pressure rising every time I think about the stupidity of this!

Why?

It is not as if you can see the switch from the drivers seat.

Aren’t there other lights on the dash to tell you what lights you have on just in case you can’t tell when it is dark?

Why?

Aren’t there other lights on the dash to tell you what lights you have on just in case you can’t tell when it is dark?

It's an aesthetic issue.... :)

I'll be checking mine tonight 😊

It's an aesthetic issue.... :)

I'll be checking mine tonight 😊
It's more than that, it's a defect. It may not be apparent to anyone else and its functionality may be limited, BUT OP knows it's there. I wouldn't sleep until I'd solved the problem.

I am so cross about this as I now need to buy another switch to remove the SMDs from to fit to the board on mine so that the colour will match! Grr, Mercedes, what on earth?!?!?
Alternatively, buy new LEDs from e.g. Farnell, Mouser or similar.
Those LEDS look like PLCC-4 made by Broadcom. I presume you need white, rather than the red ones I bought to fix the third brakelight: HSMC-A461-V00M1
You may also need SMD current limiting resistors.
Ian.

It's more than that, it's a defect. It may not be apparent to anyone else and its functionality may be limited, BUT OP knows it's there. I wouldn't sleep until I'd solved the problem.

Quite right!

(I've been known to spend good money on fixing even less significant and less noticeable issues.....)

This is my only switch currently so I'll be looking for used one at some point soon that I can strip down to steal the SMDs from. Yes, I'm happy to update as I go of course.

I can feel my blood pressure rising every time I think about the stupidity of this!

It would be good to know if it's just a case of missing LEDs (or bulbs) that can be retrofitted, or a new switch unit is required...?

Why?

I guess you must be shorter than me, I can see it from the driver's seat. It's rare that I get to be taller than anyone.

I can tell when it's dark, that's why I want my lights on along with all the other clues around there. Seriously though, If someone lets me through a gap at night, rather than blinding them by thanking them with a flash of headlights, I prefer to dip to sidelights and bring them back up. When you go from "Auto" to sidelights, is the layout of the switch Off, Auto, Side, Dipped or Auto, Off, Side, Dipped? I can't remember. A quick glance tells me nothing as that part of the switch isn't lit and the nature of the lights means that the Auto setting doesn't change immediately so for a second or two I'm waiting to find out if I've ignored the politeness of another driver or am I about to drop to sidelights when I really need headlights. If the legend was lit, I wouldn't have questioned it as the answer would have been there at the moment I needed it. I know the layout now and don't need to look but it doesn't change the fact that in my opinion this is a stupidity built in.

That is why.

Alternatively, buy new LEDs from e.g. Farnell, Mouser or similar.
Those LEDS look like PLCC-4 made by Broadcom. I presume you need white, rather than the red ones I bought to fix the third brakelight: HSMC-A461-V00M1
You may also need SMD current limiting resistors.
Ian.

I thought of buying them but was concerned that the colour would be off if I got something that was of a different make. I do expect it to be different though as the way the legend is lit is indirect unlike all the other parts as it goes through holes in a white shroud. I rather expect this is the reason that so many people say they are really dimly lit. In an ideal world I would buy a fair few of them to share out on here as the postage is likely to be more than 4 SMDs but for the moment I need to make sure that my plan works so I've bought a switch (£12.00 inc delivery) to dismantle and test with so as not to remove/risk mine for the interim. I can move an SMD on the switch and test it off the car. Hopefully I'll be able to confirm what is needed and perhaps find a slightly more powerful one to bring the brightness up if it is an issue in time.

I'm interested in your 3rd brake light fix as I have the sporadic failure on mine but I'm guessing you had LEDs out rather than the thing not working 3 times a month that I have currently

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom