Headlight switch W211

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

agriff

Car
E320 CDI
Just so I know I'm not imagining things, is the headlight switch illuminated or not. I'm sure I have seen the little icons lit up around the switch and now they're not. If they are meant to be lit and I'm not going mad, is it likely to be a bulb and if so how easy is it to replace?

If its anything like the W202, it has no light until you pull it out twice for the fogs, then you get the fog warning light.

Last edited:
This has been discussed a few times. No surprise, it looks odd that the switch is not illuminated. The same on a W221.

I've seen a post showing the printed circuit boards at the switch assembly, there were soldering points for illumination LEDs, but no LEDs installed. It could even be that some early models (or other cars, if the same board was used on another model) have had the illumination but it does not appear on current cars (as far as I've seen and seen posted by others).

The knob on my 203 is illuminated, just the bulb symbol in the centre and the marker line. Means you can find the switch but the symbols around the edge do not illuminate untill you pull the knob for the fogs..Then its just the fog symbol that lights

The knob on my 203 is illuminated, just the bulb symbol in the centre and the marker line. Means you can find the switch but the symbols around the edge do not illuminate untill you pull the knob for the fogs..Then its just the fog symbol that lights

This is what I also meant, thanks for putting it with better words. And my understanding is that at least on the W211 the hardware is built to allow back lighting the symbols to make them visible in the dark.

A different issue if it would be important to have the symbols visible, drivers usually aren't even aware that they aren't. This is where the question come and it also shows that it is straightforward to operate the switch without seeing the symbols. Perhaps the additional lights would just disturb drivers view.

I checked mine last night. It shows a light symbol in the centre of the switch, and a light 'marker' on the switch. The symbols themselves are not lit.

I checked mine last night. It shows a light symbol in the centre of the switch, and a light 'marker' on the switch. The symbols themselves are not lit.

When your switch is pulled out to the Fog rear,it is the law that a lamp indicating this is on the switch so that it not left on accidently

When your switch is pulled out to the Fog rear,it is the law that a lamp indicating this is on the switch so that it not left on accidently

I think it's the law that there must be an indication, not that it must be on the switch. I say that because with the positioning of the switch on the W211 you are not likely to be able to see if either fog or HV rear fogs have been left on. Other manufacturers (Vauxhall used to be one of them) incorporate the indicator in the instrument display where it is more visible.

I think it's the law that there must be an indication, not that it must be on the switch. I say that because with the positioning of the switch on the W211 you are not likely to be able to see if either fog or HV rear fogs have been left on. Other manufacturers (Vauxhall used to be one of them) incorporate the indicator in the instrument display where it is more visible.

I cant answer that, but it is cheaper to build it into the switch, clearly you should be able to see it without looking for it

Malcolm,
I believe that you are correct,however I meant with the sidelights and headlights on....no foglamps

Malcolm,
I believe that you are correct,however I meant with the sidelights and headlights on....no foglamps

Nothing for that as said, I wonder if it is possible to add one as it appears that they had something in mind when they made the switch, lot of work though

Thanks guys. I phoned Robinsons Mercedes who didn't know either until one of them looked at a similar model and told me there is no illumination. At least I know it's as it should be and nothing's wrong.

Thanks guys. I phoned Robinsons Mercedes who didn't know either until one of them looked at a similar model and told me there is no illumination. At least I know it's as it should be and nothing's wrong.

Robinsons of Cambridge? - They would even struggle to know what an E-Class was.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom