Headlight upgrade? A180d w177

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Trebor62

Car
A180d amg line
Hi. I have a Mercedes A180d on 2019 plate W177. I’m very much a novice and wondered if there was a headlight upgrade as the factory fitted lights aren’t the best and seem less bright than I would like? Could anyone suggest any upgrade that won’t cost a fortune?

any help or guidance would be appreciated

Rob

What’s wrong with them!

- reach?
- cut off?
- brightness?

If you have LEDs tough, if last century halogens then newer bulbs like something from Osram might help at the expense of a far shorter life.

A lot of headlight performance comes from the reflector and lens not the bulb so not a lot can be done. It’s the price of the current design led style, putting fashion over function

Thanks for the info. Main issue is strength of beam? I have Halogen headlights H7 55 W bulb

Thanks for the info. Main issue is strength of beam? I have Halogen headlights H7 55 W bulb

As suggested try Osram Nightbreaker or other brands of high output Halogens. Search for reviews of different brands and performance etc.

Whatever you do do not be tempted to fit HID Xexon bulbs, they will not be suitable for your headlights no matter what sellers claim and will be illegal.

Thanks for the heads up on that! I was just looking at some bulb upgrades and was surprised to learn that several weren’t road legal!

Thanks for the heads up on that! I was just looking at some bulb upgrades and was surprised to learn that several weren’t road legal!

Yes, don’t put HIDs in, the reflector and lens aren’t designed for them and they will dazzle oncoming traffic (and fail your next MOT).

Go for the Nightbreakers.

Your headlight reflector and bulb position is designed for H7 Halogens only , find an uprated one (of change both dip and main beam) and you will notice an improvement.

It may also be worth asking a friendly local garge with a beam tester (all garages carrying ou an MOT will have them) to check if your lights have been set low and possibly adjust them up witihn the allowable range to increase light throw.

As others said.

The only legal bulb upgrade possible is to replace the standard H7 55W Halogen bulbs with high-performance H7 55W bulbs. E.g. Osram Nightbreaker or Philips Xtreme etc.

Any LED or HID/Xenon bulb upgrade kits will be illegal for use in your current headlamps. Same goes for 100W H7 Bulbs.

Thanks for all the info and it’s certainly saved me going down the wrong path not to mention the expense!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom