Headlight washer switch repair

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Blobsta

Car
S202 C43 Wagon
Afternoon all,
I have had an issue with my headlight washers and having replaced the pump, they started to work sporadically until giving up completely only a month later. I traced the issue to the switch and have resolved it this weekend so I thought I'd share a little "how to" on the subject.

The lack of use had caused the brass contacts to corrode on the back of the button. I guess this could also be true of the mirror switches as they use the same principal.

Here is how I did it:

Remove the fuse cover panel on the side of the dashboard, undo the T20 torx screw holding the fuse holder in place and slide it down to remove.

You can see the switch wiring connector and the headlight adjuster vacuum pipes just above it.

Chock the wheels, leave it in Park or 1st gear and disconnect the parking brake release lever from the cable then slide that out. Now you have access to another T20 screw holding the headlight switch assembly in place (just to the left of centre):

reaching behind the switch assembly, you will find a metal spring clip on each side near the top, squeeze and push the unit from the dash.
Rotate it carefully to the right and you will have access to the clips holding the adjuster switch. They are very tight but gently pry them apart and leave that switch with the car.

Carefully now release the locking tabs all around the edges of the unit. Start with the mirror and washer switch buttons as they are separate (but connected by a ribbon cable to the rotary headlight switch!)

Once out, you will need to remove three T7 (I think) Torx screws on the PCB. Turn it over and remove the rubber cap:

Although it's not too clear in this picture, the contacts for my washer switch were quite tarnished in comparison to the mirror controls.

I cleaned them with a drop of Cillit Bang on a cotton bud and then with cheap Vodka for the degreasing aspect. Put it all back together and the washers are working beautifully now.

Hope this is of some use to someone, and Admins, please feel free to move to a more suitable area if you see fit.

Blob

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom