Headlights intermittently switch off when breaking heavily

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

TheJudge

Car
W204 C280
Hi, full disclaimer, I switched my halogen bulbs for Led bulbs a few months back. before anyone mentions that I'm blinding oncoming drivers... these are leds that emit light from one chip only, positioned on the unit at the same place the halogen bulb emits light, so don't glare horribly in the light housing and no success have been flashing me!!

Anyway, in my w204, I now have a wierd issue. All my lights work fine, the car doesn't struggle to start (I'm using the battery which came with car when I bought it a few months ago so maybe it's old ...), but every so often, one (sometimes both) headlights turn off when I'm driving. It happens whether No I'm using Auto other mode or just ON.

No internal lights e.g. ofon go the dash go off. The headlights come back on in less than three seconds. It seems to happen when I break heavily. Any ideas? I've read about possible grounding issues, dodgy battery and/alternator or maybe I've damaged the SAM. I don't get errors on the dash because I'm using a can bus, and the car was examined using STAR and nothing showed up.

The only other modifications to the car are, dashcam, led sidelights and interior lights, mp3 Bluetooth streaming receiver.

My first step would be to put the halogens back and see if the "fault" still happens.

I would be interested in this type of conversion for my W204 if anyone ever makes a UK-legal kit for it.

My first step would be to put the halogens back and see if the "fault" still happens.
You will probably NOT be surprised to hear ..... that after putting halogens back, there is no "fault".

I've opted for Philips XtremeVision bulbs, quite nice really :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom