Headrest DVD - hardwire to 12V supply?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ffej1405

Car
ML350 Bluetec
I'm thinking of getting these headrest DVD players.

XTRONS HD903 2x 9" Car Headrest DVD 32&8 bit Game Black on eBay (end time 22-Jul-10 18:00:33 BST)

I would like to hardwire the power using the 12v socket in the rear of the armrest. Question is - how do I remove the ashtray/storage compartment to get access to the rear of the socket?

Anyone fitted anything like this before - experiences? Was it easy (I'm very new with car electrics)

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I bought some of these a few weeks ago and fitted them into my wifes Audi A4. I did have to purchase some 14mm poles to stop them wobbling about in the seat. Wiring them up was simple. I just spared them off the supply to the headunit. The tricky part was hiding the wires beneath the centre console. Took me about 2 hours start to finish.

I must say they are great value too!

To gain acces to the wiring for the rear socket lift the floor out from the centre consul , to do this simply lift the mat in the consul then where the 2 rectangular holes are in the floor insert a screw driver and push the screw driver sideways to release the clip , then the floor will lift out . The black / yellow wire is the postive for the lighter socket , and this is a switched live

I installed these last month. I just wired them to a cigarette lighter plug so the screen can be plugged into the rear 12v socket when needed.

Shorty - thanks. Just what I was after.

npuk - I am considering your approach - did you have to purchase the 14mm poles or do the supplied 10/12mm one fit?

I did purchase the 14mm poles incase I needed them but they were too big for my car so sent them back. The headrest pole holes seems to be about 13mm in my car and the 12mm were a little loose so I wrapped them with some electrical insulation tape before inserting them which made them a much tighter fit.

Last edited:
these look good! - I have some strapped to the back of our current family car (my wifes VW touran) and the cables are a bit ugly really.

Tell me though - am I reight in thinking they are both 'players'? - i think i'd prefer a setup with one player and one 'slave' screen so that both kids are watching the same thing - is this possible with those?

They both have their own players but you can also just play a dvd on one and watch the same on both screens.

Any idea if you take an input form another device , ie an iPod and play it on both screens?

They have an aux input and you can view the same source on both screens so I dont see why not.

^ Thanks they look great.

Couple of questions as I was about to buy the click and go Nextbase system, which I still might as they would be easier to transfer between cars rather than buying 2 sets...

1) If using the cigarette power and you stop / switch off does the DVD start at the start or where it was last switched off.
2) Have you tried using them with wireless headphones?
3) Does one link to the other, so actually one dvd and the other is just a screen.

Thanks again

^ Thanks they look great.

Couple of questions as I was about to buy the click and go Nextbase system, which I still might as they would be easier to transfer between cars rather than buying 2 sets...

1) If using the cigarette power and you stop / switch off does the DVD start at the start or where it was last switched off.
3) Does one link to the other, so actually one dvd and the other is just a screen.

Thanks again

This system looks good, (and I may well have bought it if not too late), but we have Nextbase and am fairly happy with that also.

Thanks again

1) IIRC where it was if you stop it but not if you power off then back on later.
2) No used only the built in speakers and the built in FM transmitter which are both good.
3) Both have a built in dvd player but the wiring can be linked so you can just play a dvd on one headrest and watch it on both.

Last edited:
They can also read an 8GB USB Pen drive and an 8GB SD Card. I've got litterally dozens of movies in the car all stored on a couple of USB sticks and a couple of SD cards. Keeps the kids entertained on those long journeys! They also have a built-in IR transmitter for use with wireless headphones.

If I remember to get my camera out I'll take some pics when I fit them (hopefully at the weekend if they turn up before then)

I'm unsure...

The nextbase kit means I only have to buy 2 screens and 4 mounts to use in both cars. Using the headrest system looks neater but means 4 units....

Anyone who uses the nextcase click system? what do you think.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom