Headrest LCD Monitors

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

perdikoula888

Banned
What brand/make/model are these monitors? Are they custom made or are made from a specific company? Any information about them? Any website link?

Attachments

• 211screens03.jpg
    211screens03.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 395
Just a few points, though I'm 99% sure those are aftermarket, one thing has been driving me insane (on my last trip to China I had a chat with a manufacturer of these things... I was trying to get some "slip on" screens...). Ony thing is that you would have an unwieldly pair of cables (power and input)... I cant seem to see the cables in your pics... Which makes me wonder, could the metal brackets be hollow?

perdikoula888 said:
What brand/make/model are these monitors? Are they custom made or are made from a specific company? Any information about them? Any website link?

MBENZNL sells the 7" ones. They are made in the Netherlands about 5 minutes from his house. They use Phillips LCD screens.

The 5" ones are Brabus.

But alas .... we are destined to find out what out ways there are.

miro said:
MBENZNL sells the 7" ones. They are made in the Netherlands about 5 minutes from his house. They use Phillips LCD screens.

The 5" ones are Brabus.

But alas .... we are destined to find out what out ways there are.

Do you have pictures of the LCD headrests that MBENZNL is selling? How much do they cost?
Will they replace my current W211 headrests?
How are they connected to the COMAND APS?

Thanks,
migabc

Last edited:
Guys, just a thought. I see that these rear headrest LCD's are becoming evermore popular. Has anybody wondered what the potential impact could be in an accident?

Would rear passengers be propelled directly into these screens at the point of impact, as not many people buckle up in the back? I suspect that all this 'FAD' gadgetry can be a serious safety issue.

Vips said:
Would rear passengers be propelled directly into these screens at the point of impact, as not many people buckle up in the back? I suspect that all this 'FAD' gadgetry can be a serious safety issue.

They certainly buckle up in the back of my car ! If they don't want to, its their own lives that they are risking ! Not a safety expert, however I don't think they are a serious hazard .... fitted as standard to a lot of high end models now, and must have to pass the same safety tests.

S.

sym said:
They certainly buckle up in the back of my car ! If they don't want to, its their own lives that they are risking !

Actually its the front driver/passenger's lifes they are risking aswell. You really dont need an 80KG lump hitting the back of your seat at 30mph in which you are restrained by the 2" wide seatbelt - think of the extra pressure along that seatbelt on your rib cage etc ..

Everyone wears seatbelts in my car(s) or they dont get to be driven in it

Richard

richard said:
Actually its the front driver/passenger's lifes they are risking aswell. You really dont need an 80KG lump hitting the back of your seat at 30mph in which you are restrained by the 2" wide seatbelt - think of the extra pressure along that seatbelt on your rib cage etc ..

Everyone wears seatbelts in my car(s) or they dont get to be driven in it

Richard

Agreed .. in fact there was a TV 'scare-vert' recently illustrating this ....

As an aside, I've been trying to get a twin screen portable DVD for the kids (for use when parked) ... nobody seems to have them any more. Everybody lists them (Currys/Dixons, Halfords, Argos, Toys R Us, etc.) but nobody seems to have stock at the moment!

BTB 500 said:
As an aside, I've been trying to get a twin screen portable DVD for the kids (for use when parked) ... nobody seems to have them any more. Everybody lists them (Currys/Dixons, Halfords, Argos, Toys R Us, etc.) but nobody seems to have stock at the moment!

www.ebuyer.com

got mine from there, was a good price and they had lots of stock .. search on Centurion.

**EDIT** They dont seem to have them any more .. but here's one on eBay .. .identical to mine.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Centurion-in-...727757750QQcategoryZ67772QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Last edited:
sym said:
www.ebuyer.com

got mine from there, was a good price and they had lots of stock .. search on Centurion.

Thanks, but I can't find anything there now! They list a "Tech Lux" brand one, but it's out of stock.

sym said:
**EDIT** They dont seem to have them any more .. but here's one on eBay .. .identical to mine.

Have ordered one online from Toys R Us, they seem to have stock centrally (although the local store didn't). £135 incl. delivery, not Centurion but hopefully good enough for a 3 year old and a 6 year old! :D

Vips said:
Guys, just a thought. I see that these rear headrest LCD's are becoming evermore popular. Has anybody wondered what the potential impact could be in an accident?

Pretty much the same impact as for the original MB headrests (which have hard plastic at the back).

I went for a a slightly bigger budget than that and have two seperate players. Next-base 8.5" screen slot-in DVD off ebay. We didn't want fully fitted ones as they need to go in two seperate cars, so felt portable was the best option.

Excellent choice came complete with headphones, batteries, head rest cases, power supplies (car and home).

Both kids can watch what they like and believe me on an 8 hour run through France, to not have them argue about what to watch is, as the advert says, priceless!

sdv185-s-headrest.jpg

I might add that having had an accident recently, neither child got close to the head rests as both were secured in their car seats.....!

Looks good. We are driving to Stuttgart and back this summer so they will get some serious use then ("Lion King" 20 times, I expect :rolleyes:)!

Richard W said:
I went for a a slightly bigger budget than that and have two seperate players. Next-base 8.5" screen slot-in DVD off ebay. We didn't want fully fitted ones as they need to go in two seperate cars, so felt portable was the best option.

Excellent choice came complete with headphones, batteries, head rest cases, power supplies (car and home).

Both kids can watch what they like and believe me on an 8 hour run through France, to not have them argue about what to watch is, as the advert says, priceless!

sdv185-s-headrest.jpg

I might add that having had an accident recently, neither child got close to the head rests as both were secured in their car seats.....!

Looks good Richard, although your X3 seems to have a non-standard steering wheel :D :p

Yeah, I like the portable ones too in that they are easily removed from prying eyes when not in use during the week. (and much cheaper than a fully fitted set up, of course !)

I'll probably mount the DVD player unit somewhere hidden and semi- permanent (under the passenger seat) at some point for ease of removal (Just pop the screens off)

S.

Richard W said:

You would be surprised what ends up where in an accident .... I am glad that you were very lucky. Mind you .... feeding kids DVD 24x7 comes back to haunt you in about a decade when they get angry and can't articulate how they feel.

miro said:
You would be surprised what ends up where in an accident .... I am glad that you were very lucky. Mind you .... feeding kids DVD 24x7 comes back to haunt you in about a decade when they get angry and can't articulate how they feel.

Good afternoon Miro,
I'm sure we all agree with you about allowing young children to sit in front of a television all day, but Richard is merely trying to make extra long journeys more bearable for his young children.

Being confined in a car for eight hours or more is no picnic and having portable DVD players for the rear passengers is a brilliant idea. No seat belts, no films. :)

Well done Richard,
John

sym said:
Looks good Richard, although your X3 seems to have a non-standard steering wheel :D :p

PMSL:D Different colour leather too......

sym said:
I'll probably mount the DVD player unit somewhere hidden and semi- permanent (under the passenger seat) at some point for ease of removal (Just pop the screens off)

S.

The real benefit of those Nextbase units, is that they're all one integrated unit - the disc slots in to a drive behind the screen. It means they're more expensive than the seperates versions that you can buy but to me £200 for an 8.5" player seemed good value at the time (last year!).

SDV-185 8.5" DVD player

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom