heads up-the bridges at Toko-Ri FILM 4 NOW

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

grober

MB Master
Car
W204 ESTATE
Excellent war movie on Naval Aviators in the Korean war- RECORD IT!

Thanks Grober - very enjoyable. Long time since I've seen that.

I liked the Willys they were using on the carriers.

NC-1Acloseup.JPG

Very Hollywood, very 50's, Grace Kelly was a stunner, the "special effects" which appear amateurish now won academy awards, the screenplay had the advantage of being drawn from James Michiner's novel based on his war correspondent experience. The stars of the movie and give it that "edge" are really that aircraft carrier and the Grumman F9F-2 Panther aircraft-- no special effects there! Carrier-borne aircraft still the sharp end of USA foreign policy even to this day .
0704649.jpg

Good film let down (IMHO) only by the sequences filmed using models.

the "special effects" which appear amateurish now won academy awards

Yup our posts crossed - those are the only bits that haven't stood up to the test of time. But they were a pretty standard feature for most 40s/50s aviation films, and usually even less convincing.

I don't think the SFX models or approaches were poor, they were just running too fast. Shooting with a high speed camera at a frame rate inversely proportional to the model's scale and then playing back at the target frame rate would have solved much of that - especially with the pyrotechnics. Iirc, this was a technique pioneered later by the likes of Gerry Anderson. I believe that miniatures should also be shot with a special lens, or post processed in 'post', to assist with re-dimensioning the depth of the scene. Else, it looks like everything was shot within a few feet of the camera, which of course it was.

We work in and around VFX, so not so up on SFX, but I believe the above to be correct. I think it may be SLKgirl who works in the SFX industry, she can probably shed more light.

Doctor Who recently moved back to using miniatures for some of its scenes and in my opinion, even though I first started in the VFX industry 27 years ago with Autodesk, miniatures still look more real than even the best of visual effects. In saying that, I thought Avatar got pretty close to being totally believable.

You only have to watch the first Star Wars film to see how good sequences shot with miniatures can be, although of course it's far easier depicting things that don't exist in real life!

I've been interested in aviation for most of my life and have flown r/c models for 40 years, so virtually anything involving static (i.e. non-flying) models or CGI looks obviously fake to me - the motion is just wrong. The most convincing scenes I've seen have been ones using large r/c models e.g. Memphis Belle, Empire of the Sun, The Aviator, etc. (using appropriate frame rates of course). Even the model stuff in the Battle of Britain (from the late 60s) is pretty good.

Very Hollywood, very 50's, Grace Kelly was a stunner, the "special effects" which appear amateurish now won academy awards, the screenplay had the advantage of being drawn from James Michiner's novel based on his war correspondent experience. The stars of the movie and give it that "edge" are really that aircraft carrier and the Grumman F9F-2 Panther aircraft-- no special

I meant to add this earlier.

Although relating to WW2, Toland in The Rising Sun, covers the Pacific War in some detail with plenty of interviewed accounts of life on board carriers.

Hastings in Nemesis takes it several stages further, with extraordinarily detaied accounts of life on board carriers, and other capital ships of the period. I never realised for example, that the US retired carrier based fighters after 8 months of combat, usually with a swift push over the side. The Japanese on the other hand were so short of aircraft after the initial battles, that they had new planes craned on board, not wishing to risk them at the hands of newly trained pilots making their first landing. Inference being I guess that as long as they could take off once, nothing else mattered.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom