Health and your attitude ....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

LTD

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
Polo GTi (and a travel pass for the train and subway)
Right gang .... 'fess up time for me.

Recent events have highlighted our limited time on this mortal coil and my recent life-experiences have borne testimony to this.

I'm not into the Facebook-mantra of posting all my recent life-habits and have no real desire to inform the world if my latest no.2 was a pan-splitter or a 'wee ghostie'

However. Let's face facts. We are not getting any younger and we should maybe all do something about our longevity.

<boring bit>

My mum was diagnosed with breast cancer and we all got to know last December. I am pleased to say that she has made a total recovery and can look forward to an older age (she's well into her 70s) with a renewed optimism.

My father had a recent breast cancer scare that turned out to be scar tissue from a fall that hadn't healed properly. He injured himself during mum's radiotherapy but 'didn't want to get anybody worried about the lump' :doh:

</boring bit>

Mum's attitude to her problem made me think about my own mortality and my own wife and kids.

I decided to undertake a new regime after watching a Horizon documentary by Michael Moseley.

BBC - Eat, Fast And Live Longer (Jedz, pôsti sa a ?i dlh?ie) on Vimeo

Two days a week at 600 calories for a man, 500 calories for a woman.

Five days doing your normal life. Wine, beer, curries etc. No regrets, no point counting, no misery. Weight loss is a side effect to the health benefits that we cannot see or measure without scientific intervention.

No eating like a sparrow and no manic exercise regime.

Why am I posting this ?

I'm celebrating my loss of 2 stones since Jan/Feb by simply adopting the 5:2 diet regime - and it is not difficult to adopt.

I've dropped from 13/13/6 to 11/13/6. My waist is now sub-30" and my 48yo sedentary girth is receding.

Look after yourself - for your sake and the sake of your loved ones.

Remember reading something about this regime a few months ago. Haven't watched your video link but it sounds very positive.

Supposed to sharpen the brain too..

I'm 20 pounds down since June :thumb:.

That's from overweight to a bit less overweight - but, hey, it's a start :cool:.

I also read about this but thought it a bit too extreme. Make sure you have your annual health MOT as my doc reckons starvation days like these can upset liver and kidney function. Really pleased for your weight loss though top effort :thumb: but make sure you stay healthy :thumb:

I also read about this but thought it a bit too extreme. Make sure you have your annual health MOT as my doc reckons starvation days like these can upset liver and kidney function. Really pleased for your weight loss though top effort :thumb: but make sure you stay healthy :thumb:

if you read up on the science, and we are both trained Biomedical Scientists, then the calorific targets on the 'low days' do not allow the body to enter into 'starvation mode' but set it into 'repair mode' and set about losing excess fat, maintaining cholesterol, glucose etc., and providing a measured increase in cancer-inhibitors.

Mice have demonstrated an ability to develop an increase in neural function (got cleverer).

In short, it's all good. There is no starvation.

I'm on it and today is a fast day.

I've lost a stone and a half in the last couple of months.
I often ramp it up to around 800 calories on the fast days cos I like a pudding.

Works for me, and no hardship whatsoever.

Totally agree with changing eating habits if they are poor to start with.

For me it was a series of small changes, bit less fat, less processed food, more brown stuff, less white, more red wine, less beer.

2 and a half stone down and cholesterol and blood sugar down significantly.

Easy to maintain because I can still have 8 pints and a curry, just not too often.

As it happens at the end of next week I have booked myself into a "Well Man" clinic at my GP's Surgery. No doubt I will be informed my height to weight ratio is incorrect and demographic change is upon me. Ill still be blind and deaf but I should get to know if my pump is OK, and what condition my "oil" is in. No doubt diets and falling down water will be discussed and I shall need a pint directly after seeing Sister NoMercy.

She is the one who is fatter than me, drinks and smokes!!! Should be a joyous conversation but I must remember Ill be asking for an anti tetanus jab and she may just have a needle in her hand at some stage on Friday.

lewy

Your changes are all good and to be commended but the 'shock-tactic' of intermittent fasting is critical scientifically.

Please do research on this - you WILL benefit and you are already well versed on diet control without 'dieting'

if you read up on the science, and we are both trained Biomedical Scientists, then the calorific targets on the 'low days' do not allow the body to enter into 'starvation mode' but set it into 'repair mode' and set about losing excess fat, maintaining cholesterol, glucose etc., and providing a measured increase in cancer-inhibitors.

Mice have demonstrated an ability to develop an increase in neural function (got cleverer).

In short, it's all good. There is no starvation.

Thanks for that I think she must have assumed the body did enter starvation mode. I'll read up a bit more on this looks good thanks for the heads up :thumb:

lewy

Your changes are all good and to be commended but the 'shock-tactic' of intermittent fasting is critical scientifically.

Please do research on this - you WILL benefit and you are already well versed on diet control without 'dieting'

Happy to consider it but wonder if it is sustainable?

As it happens at the end of next week I have booked myself into a "Well Man" clinic at my GP's Surgery. No doubt I will be informed my height to weight ratio is incorrect and demographic change is upon me. Ill still be blind and deaf but I should get to know if my pump is OK, and what condition my "oil" is in. No doubt diets and falling down water will be discussed and I shall need a pint directly after seeing Sister NoMercy.

She is the one who is fatter than me, drinks and smokes!!! Should be a joyous conversation but I must remember Ill be asking for an anti tetanus jab and she may just have a needle in her hand at some stage on Friday.

When I went for my bloods doing at the travel clinic and a top up of all the jabs I have to have travelling to strange countries and up the jungle, the advice the female doc gave me with the syringe in her hand was priceless and still rings loud in my ears.

"Remember I can always give you a bigger pr*ck than you can give me and if you want to stay safe in Africa keep your d*ck in your trousers" :eek:

It's important to do some form of muscle strengthening exercise if your on any kind of low calorie diet, or your body will use muscle tissue for protein and energy. And the more muscle you have the quicker and easier it is to burn fat.

Happy to consider it but wonder if it is sustainable?

The general consensus is that you only need one low day once you are at your natural body stasis once you have rid yourself of excess.

If you could starve for a day, and everyone can, than you can consume 600 calories and get into 'repair mode' rather than 'starvation mode'.

On my low days I skip breakfast, take no sugar in my coffee at work. I lunch on a simple soup (recipe below) and take a calorie controlled dinner. Last night I had a couple of grilled chicken breasts, salad of rocket, yellow pepper, red onion and balsamic dressing with sun-dried tomatoes and feta cheese.

Hardly starvation ......

Simple soup recipe

Take a soup pot (4-5 litres)

Half fill with water. Bring to boil.
Add 5 chicken stock cubes. Bring to boil.
Add about 3 peeled and grated carrots. Bring to boil.
Add a finely chopped, washed, leek. Bring to boil.
Top up with boiling water to around 4 litres.
Add a finely chopped chicken breast - previously boiled and drained. Bring to boil.
Add 100gm of rinsed long grain rice. Bring to boil.
Add a handful of finely chopped parsley.
Simmer for 20 minutes.

You need to work out the total weight of the soup and the total calorific value of the ingredients.

Then you can portion control. I take 500gm of soup for lunch and it's usually around 90-100 calories.

Leaves loads for dinner :)

The general consensus is that you only need one low day once you are at your natural body stasis once you have rid yourself of excess.

If you could starve for a day, and everyone can, than you can consume 600 calories and get into 'repair mode' rather than 'starvation mode'.

On my low days I skip breakfast, take no sugar in my coffee at work. I lunch on a simple soup (recipe below) and take a calorie controlled dinner. Last night I had a couple of grilled chicken breasts, salad of rocket, yellow pepper, red onion and balsamic dressing with sun-dried tomatoes and feta cheese.

Hardly starvation ......

Simple soup recipe

Take a soup pot (4-5 litres)

Half fill with water. Bring to boil.
Add 5 chicken stock cubes. Bring to boil.
Add about 3 peeled and grated carrots. Bring to boil.
Add a finely chopped, washed, leek. Bring to boil.
Top up with boiling water to around 4 litres.
Add a finely chopped chicken breast - previously boiled and drained. Bring to boil.
Add 100gm of rinsed long grain rice. Bring to boil.
Add a handful of finely chopped parsley.
Simmer for 20 minutes.

You need to work out the total weight of the soup and the total calorific value of the ingredients.

Then you can portion control. I take 500gm of soup for lunch and it's usually around 90-100 calories.

Leaves loads for dinner :)

Actually we often eat similar food, I'm not against the 5:2 diet as such but we are keen on food, good food.
The recent weight loss has been a side effect of better eating, not the objective.
Good luck with your efforts, I'll not say never but its not for me right now.

I am the right weight for my height and have enough exercise always been this way,so when I started getting pains and cramp when walking,I thought right drink more water must be cramp,however things got worse waking with pain in the night unable to walk more than 20yds .To cut a long story short earlier this year was diagnosed with peripheral artery disease,leg artery was 75% blocked.Had surgery to clear it by inflating a balloon in the artery.Cause,been a smoker,high cholesterol,

Treatment blood thinners,statins for cholesterol healthier diet for life. what I am saying is
please look after yourselves there are consequences if you don't.

My waist is now sub-30"

I'm envious of that! What was it when you started? I'm struggling to keep mine at 36".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom