Health check for a W211 I just bought

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

glasgow

Car
W231 SL500, W211 E280, W124 E300, W171 SLK200
Booked a free health check with local MB dealer for a 2005 E280CDI which I bought privately (no warranty) a few days a ago. apart from a noisy SBM the car drives fine. No warning messages and car is only 29K miles. Car always serviced at the same local MB dealer till last service at indi. Any suggestions or advice I need to be aware at this health check please?

(P.S.: they said unlikely there will be any contribution from MB toward the SBC. I printed the DTP star bulliten for the double suction damper http://www.bublin.eu/rick/MB/42.46_27e.pdfand will show it them.)

For anything they highlight on the health check, ask for more information and rough costs of any further investigation. Then get a second opinion from a good Indy. If clean bill of health, look into a remap or tuning box ;)

(don't worry about SBC pump at that mileage!)

For anything they highlight on the health check, ask for more information and rough costs of any further investigation. Then get a second opinion from a good Indy. If clean bill of health, look into a remap or tuning box ;)

(don't worry about SBC pump at that mileage!)

The SBC unit is set to trigger a warning based on number of operations and not mileage. Can the unit be interrogated by Star to see the remaining life?

28k for the SBC is not a sorry at all. My gave up at 140k. I have a great Indy if you ever need, I'm in Glasgow too.

If clean bill of health, look into a remap or tuning box

My basic understanding is remap/tuning is to give better fuel economy and performance-right? (well, i don't know if diesel engine may be different)...

A) Economy: mine is about 35mpg in town and 43mpg on motorway (speed 70-80mph) is this average for a 280CDI?

B) Performance: I am not really too concerned about that.

Last edited:
HB: tried mailing you but wasn't successful. May be because I am new member, I wonder if you could please let me know the details of your Indy, Thank you

Last edited:
My basic understanding is remap/tuning is to give better fuel economy and performance-right? (well, i don't know if diesel engine may be different)...

A) Economy: mine is about 35mpg in town and 43mpg on motorway (speed 70-80mph) is this average for a 280CDI?

B) Performance: I am not really too concerned about that.

It's both. A better performing system will give you a smoother drive and better fuel economy. You can get a bias in the tune for economy or power. Figues for your car would indicate a fuel performance increase of up to 20% and also a decrease in CO2 emissions. Tuning is not just about mph or 0-60.

You need 30 posts to email.
Call Steven at knightswood service centre. He's a top Merc guy0141 951 4447. He will advise on remaps too. He did all my cars with the same engine as yours.

glasgow said:
My basic understanding is remap/tuning is to give better fuel economy and performance-right? (well, i don't know if diesel engine may be different)... A) Economy: mine is about 35mpg in town and 43mpg on motorway (speed 70-80mph) is this average for a 280CDI? B) Performance: I am not really too concerned about that.

That was about the MPG I got on my 55 plate 280CDi as well.

You need 30 posts to email.
Call Steven at knightswood service centre. He's a top Merc guy0141 951 4447. He will advise on remaps too. He did all my cars with the same engine as yours.

Many thanks HB, will do......

But, but, How many cars you have with the same engine as mine? :D you must be in the trade... :thumb:

Last edited:
Anyone can advise please about approximate cost for remap/tune of E280CDI?

Many thanks HB, will do......

But, but, How many cars you have with the same engine as mine? :D you must be in the trade... :thumb:
Not in the trade, I have 3 x 320 Cdi's. 2 c class and 1 eclass. Plus loads of Mercs in the immediate family.

OMG, that's what I call a merc expert... I HAVE TO go with your recommendation for Steven then :D

Errmm, too good to be true... How realistic is this figure?

Research the forums, read the claims and pop into a few tuners. With remap or tuning box between 4 and 500? No more unless you go for high power performance. And don't forget to tell your insurance company.

glasgow said:
OMG, that's what I call a merc expert... I HAVE TO go with your recommendation for Steven then :D

I used to be in the trade and I've met and chatted a lot with Steven during the curry night GTG's we have ( you should come to one of these) he's a top guy that certainly knows his stuff and I would not hesitate to take any of my MB's there

Sent from my iPhone using MBClub UK

OK....

All green in health check apart from broken o/s/f spring. They quoted me a discounted rate of £390 to replace both front springs. I politely declined their offer and will take the car to Indi for 2nd opinion/repair. They then came back saying we can do it for £300 and the technician is saying you shouldn't be driving the car as he has seen before W211 spring damaging the wing. I said I do understand and it is on my responsibility...

I was a bit surprised the front brake discs came back green. There were an advisory notice on the last MOT aboud corroded discs and I can actually easily feel them not smooth surface and lipped

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom