Heart attack: what would you do?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JumboBeef

Car
W124 E220 Estate Auto
Someone collapses in front of you (or you find them already on the floor).

How many of you would know what to do? (without the aid of Google ;) )

Come on, come on, every second counts......

(As I've said before, I work for the ambulance service. Something happened to me last night whilst working to make me want to ask this question to 'Joe Public'. I know what to do, but do you?)

Phone 999

And what else? The target time for an ambulance to arrive is within 8 minutes 75% of the time. If you do nothing while waiting, that person is (almost certainly) dead.

Airways
Breathing
Circulation

chest compression 15 (?)
mouth 2 mouth - 2

repeat until ambulance arrives

?

edit: I should know since I went on a St John's course last year. Amazing how quickly one forgets when not used or reminded frequently.

Last edited:
Does it not depend on what stage.

Sit them down (or even lie them down) if still at the pain part. And call 999.

I had read somewhere that you were to give aspirin, but that might well be a red herring.

Or do you mean collapsed?

(As I've said before, I work for the ambulance service. Something happened to me last night whilst working to make me want to ask this question to 'Joe Public'. I know what to do, but do you?)

Have someone els call 999
Loosen clothing
Attempt CPR
Keep going even if you feel it is to no avail. You may just manage to keep a spark there until the professionals arrive

Check wether they are breathing or not. Check whether there is a pulse or not. If in doubt, assume not. If poss get someone else to call 999, raise the patient's legs a foot or so, and then start mouth to mouth (move head back slightly to open airway, check for any obstructions then blow twice (?) watching the chest rise and fall), The move to compressions - heel of hands on about an inch above the base of the sternum and compress quickly about 1-2" four or five times. Repeat mouth-to-mouth, repeat compressions until patient revives or ambulance arrives. If patient revives, put in recovery position and wait for ambulance.

I think that's it - but frighteningly I am unsure, and defo need a refresher on this:eek:

And what else? The target time for an ambulance to arrive is within 8 minutes 75% of the time. If you do nothing while waiting, that person is (almost certainly) dead.

Get someone elses help as I REALLY DO NOT KNOW. We have 1st aiders at work so in that scenario thats what I would do.

I wouldnt want to cause more harm to someone.

If there was an obvious wound I would attempt to stop further blood loss, but I was always told, not to move someone, they may have a broken neck or something.

Where I work suspect the first instinct of most people would be to remove the cruel weight of wallet from chest.

Get someone elses help as I REALLY DO NOT KNOW. We have 1st aiders at work so in that scenario thats what I would do.

I wouldnt want to cause more harm to someone.

...but what if you are at home with your beloved and they are taken ill. You, and only you can help: there is no one else.

Very important we all know the correct procedure so please tell us without delay. As you say JumboBeef every second counts.

I witnessed a grandfather collapse right next to me whilst outside at a kids soft-play centre, I was going to get him to lie down, but his daughter arrived almost instantly and said that was'nt correct, and as he'd had an attack before she would take over.

I felt embarrased and very helpless not knowing what to do, other than phone an ambulance. Unfortunately, the poor man didnt recover, dieing on the way to the hospital. Im ashamed to say I still dont really know how to properly handle it should that happen, so interested in the posts on this thread.

...but what if you are at home with your beloved and they are taken ill. You, and only you can help: there is no one else.

I guess and I assume as they are unconcious

1. Move into a posiition to facilitate breathing, maybe prop them up against a wall
2. If they are concious try and give them any medication they may have for a condition (like if they have asthma their puffer)
3. Try and unblock airways etc
4. I'd be loathed to attempt CPR but from what i remember its 5 compressions on the chest and 5 breaths on them
4. Pray that abulance comes ASAP.

u are so right mate this happen to me ,witth mine wife where she passed out ,tell you it worst exprinece of mine life ,thank god she fine now

As above really, ring 999, they then stay on the phone till RRV or ambulance turn up talking you through what to do. It is all scripted for any emergancy you can think of, Mrs Aoraki was call taker for East Mids Ambulance before studying to be a nurse.

Very important we all know the correct procedure so please tell us without delay. As you say JumboBeef every second counts.

I will post a long post as soon as I have the time :thumb:

My old man has had his 4th Heart Attack. The thing is he doesnt know when he is having one but all he says is oh I feel a bit better tomorrow when he has pain in his chest and left arm.

Just Recently he said the same thing and my brother just called the Amubulance and they confirmed it was a Heart Attack. And that was the 4th Heart Attack :wallbash:.

SO where do you draw the line.

Yes my view exactly... Hold on don't die Ill check the forum they know everything.:thumb:

In view of the recent passing of a well known and respected forum member, I suggest comments like this are kept to ones self at the moment.

JumboBeef, please DO post the correct procedure as a new thread when you have written it up, but for now, I am closing this thread as there are differing views on procedure.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom