Heat blower packed in

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jamiemay

Car
s500 coupe+Bmw850i+c180 sport
Heater blower not working iv,e checked all the fuse,s and replaced them just incase went to halfords and bought 2 ceramic heater,s tried them then went to the newsagents and bought a box of swan vesta,s.am i right in thinking it,s the heater regulator plug or wiring or the motor it,self just trying to elminate things one buy one. It was working great this afternoon

Check the voltage to the motor first if the fuses are ok. make sure the ignition and blower is turned on.

As above, check the basics first.

I've just fitted new brushes (£12.50 on eBay) to the blower motor in our 1996 / 120k mile Audi ... they are a 'consumable' item unfortunately.

Bill i just had a look @ the motor it looked loose so i torqued it up and hey presto its working are the brushes easy to replace ???

are the brushes easy to replace ???
Yes, once you figure out how to get the motor out (through the glove box, on our Audi). I assume the blower motors are pretty generic, mine was a Valeo one.

Once you get the motor out of the housing the two brushes are just held with a spring clip each. Each brush has a length of copper braid attached which is soldered to a plate on the motor. Ideally you need a powerful soldering iron to get the old braid off and the new one connected, but failing that I think you could just cut the old braid and run a small self-tapping screw in to clamp the new braid against the plate. I'm sure that would work OK.

I did the whole job in about an hour, inculding blowing the innards of the motor clean with compressed air. Mrs BTB was well impressed! :D

A replacement motor was about £80 plus p&p on eBay, so £12.50 for the brushes was a result :)

Ok am off to the garage again Thanks for the info somehow i think the brushes are on there last leg,s
Jamie

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom