Heat output?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jukie

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
MY11 E350 CDi Avantgarde
It's my day for DIY/rennovation questions!

The builders are in and the living room fireplace has been knocked out. I'm going for a wood-burning/multi-fuel stove OR a natural gas look-alike, all quaint and period-like.

So I have an idea of the size that the fireplace needs to be but absolutely no idea about (yeah, yeah, many things, I know!) a suitable heat output for said heating appliance. Is there a guide anywhwere, based on the cubic footage of a room? E.g. 1680 cubic feet room best served by 10Kw output, or whatever.

Also, anyone got a wood burning stove? Are they in any ways dirty in terms of depositing dust and soot around the place?

TIA, David

Last edited:
David,
We have both a wood burning stove and an open fire.
Wood burners are great. There is little mess, but you have to be careful when you take the ash out - I put the ash in a large shopping bag to cover it up.
If you can, get a stove which burns coal (or smokeless) also. Then you have the option of leaving the fire in all night if you want to.
We heat a 24' x 12' lounge with a 'standard' size wood burner, and we can get it as hot as we like.
Personally I wouldn't be without it. The slight inconvenience of lighting the fire, taking out the ash (once a week) and occasionally cleaning the front glass is outweighed by the pleasure of a true living flame, the genuine radiant heat and free fuel (if you can get it)
Also, there are few pleasures greater than the embers of a wood fire, a smoky Islay single malt, and your own thoughts. Fantastic.

Feel free to ask any questions....

Solid fuel fires are wonderful.

But if anyone suggests you install a solid fuel cooker as it will "add character to the kitchen" kill them.

Satch said:
Solid fuel fires are wonderful.

But if anyone suggests you install a solid fuel cooker as it will "add character to the kitchen" kill them.

We used to have a solid fuel Rayburn.
Bloody awful! I was decoking it every couple of weeks - best thing we ever did was ditch it and get a gas fired Aga

Jukie.

I know nothing of wood burning stoves as I am a Gas Man, well Heating Engineer to use my proper handle. I do, however, know how to calculate a heat loss/requirement for a room (from provided sizes and location info) if that is of any asisstance let me know and I will do the sums.

This may help with you choice of burner size?

Portzy.

We bought a wood burning (multi fuel) stove some 25 years ago its its the best thing I have ever bought including the slk350, the heat generated heats the whole ground floor. Mess is confined to the fire area, I have become expert at making the fire emptying the ash, I can now do it in under 5 mins. My central heating is now for background heating and water heating. They also last for donkeys years. Buy one with a full width glass front

gary.

You will also get vastly greater heat from it if you burn coal, or coal derivatives, rather than wood. Wood does look better though and, as mentioned, is usually free.

Check local byelaws as well, as you may only be allowed to burn smokeless fuel and they are cracking down on it, my Mum and Dad's neighbour has just been fined.

Last edited:
Completely different type of heat, but you have to accept they require looking after. Emptying, cleaning, chopping the wood if not purchased. Lighting the fire, and don't forget sweeping the chimney. Wood is the worst culprit for clogging the flue, this is not a major problem by any means. Log fires are brilliant, I am merely pointing out the down side and these issues are far out weighed by the plus side of the fire.

Regards,
John

Thanks for all the advice so far.

The room is 8ft high, 14 ft long and 15ft wide at its widest point (about half the room is only 11ft wide).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom