Heat under bonnet

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

c43 amg

Car
c43 amg
Hi all, just driven about ten miles home , and not racing, put the car (c43) in garage as usual, and when i returned 5 mins later it felt rather warm in there, when i touched the top of wing it was almost too hot to keep my hand on it !
I have taken the car out now just to let it cool down and have run fan for ten mins to lower temperature although it was only just above its normal running temp., do you think this is normal ?
Olly ?

If the wing was hot could a brake caliper be sticking on?

Next time it happens feel the temperature of the front wheels. If one is markedly hotter than the other it may be the problem.

Thanks Statman, but i dont think it is that although i can see where you are coming from.
It just seems to be heat from the engine, maybe its always like that and i have never noticed before?
when i lifted the bonnet the area i had been feeling was directly above the expansion bottle ,although the other wing wasnt much cooler!
Im not too worried now, no smells to be alarmed about, i was just suprised how hot it was to the touch.

will check oil in the morning , pretty sure it will be ok ,
but you never know .

Hi all, just driven about ten miles home , and not racing, put the car (c43) in garage as usual, and when i returned 5 mins later it felt rather warm in there, when i touched the top of wing it was almost too hot to keep my hand on it !
I have taken the car out now just to let it cool down and have run fan for ten mins to lower temperature although it was only just above its normal running temp., do you think this is normal ?
Olly ?

It strikes me as odd that the wing would be hot. Was the bonnet above the engine not also hot?

I don't think this is the engine. Do you have a cooler of any sort under one wing?

I know I have an entirely different engine, but my front wings really kick out heat after I've parked up in the garage.

On my 104 (6 cylinder) engined E320 coupe there is an electrical coolant pump that runs after the engine has been turned off.

Purpose is to ensure even heat distribution and avoidance of engine hot spots.

Perhaps your's is not working or it's thermostat control has gone faulty, and you are getting localised heat build up.

There is a coolant type bottle next one wing, but as i mentioned the other wing wasnt much cooler .
As for the bonnet that has the protective padding so was ok.
spoke to Ollie today and he says its normal, i think maybe because i put the car into the garage straight away after using it, whereas i normally put it away later , i have never noticed just how hot it does get !
Thanks for all your help anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom