Heated mirror, not heating.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Petrol Pete

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
Car
C55 AMG Wagon
Hi

2006 C55. The passenger side door mirror does not heat up, can anyone advise if this might have a separate fuse, usual places to check for loose connections etc. can the element be replaced ? or is it embedded in the glass ?

I just want to ask anyone out there with experience of this fault before I start taking the mirror apart.

Thanks.

Hi,
The element will be embedded in the glass, if the element has gone then the mirror glass has to be replaced.
The heater if like most other MBs is fed directly off of the door control module (DCM), and is switched on/off via. a CAN signal.
On a cold morning remove the glass, and put a Multimeter on the mirror connections and check for supply.
If a supply is there then replace the mirror glass, if the supply isn't there then disconnect the door mirror from the DCM and check for continuity of the heater cables as they are prone to damage at the pivot point of the folding mirror frame.

Last edited:
The heater matrix is adhered to the back of the glass. Just order a replacement, it'll be 10 or 15 quid on eBay and will be a straight swap.

As an aside we very rarely fold the mirrors on our C Class as it does tend to eventually cause issues with the indicator repeaters and mirror heating.

Am I right in saying all passenger mirrors should heat up on C Class? I'm asking because our 2010 only does on drivers side also.

Both mirrors should heat but only the driver's side dims..

Many thanks, does the old glass just lever out?
Sorry to hijack thread, at least it's on the same subject lol.

Many thanks, does the old glass just lever out?
Sorry to hijack thread, at least it's on the same subject lol.

Push the bottom of the mirror inwards and you will see a retaining clip at the top. Just release this and the miror will lever out.

Brilliant, many thanks.

Push the bottom of the mirror inwards and you will see a retaining clip at the top. Just release this and the miror will lever out.
Popped the glass out, have continuity on the element but no 12V on the connectors. Wire broken somewhere, I will investigate further when I can find the time. Its no big deal as long as I remember to de ice it before I drive away.

Summertime is just around the corner....or so they say.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom