Heated Mirror?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

manpolsabre

Car
1992 300D
Some kind person has smashed or stolen the nearside wing mirror glass on my 1992 300D. It looks like its been nicked because where it was parked there is no sign of it, or any broken glass!

I am getting a new glass, but the problem is, it heated or not? The wiring inside makes it look like it is but I cant tell.

There is no switch to turn it on and off if it is.

It sounds like a daft question, but how can I tell if it is a heated glass or not?

If all I can get is a non heated glass will it fit in if it is a heated one.

Europarts want £52 for heated and £40 for non heated.

Thanks...Bob

I dont know if this is the same for all models, but on mine if you turn on the heated rear window it also turns on the heated door mirrors.So do that,and put your hand on the remaining door mirror glass and see if it gets warm.

I think if you have wires/plug in the housing, then it will be a heated glass. My dad's '87 W124 has heated wing mirrors. On mine they come on automatically, doesn't matter if you have the rear de-mister on or not. One test you could try... boil up a kettle of water and hold it near to the remaining wing mirror, switch on the car ignition and you should see the steam clear off the mirror if it's heated. In fact you'll probably see the 'zig-zag' pattern of the heating wire that's embedded into the mirror glass.

*EDIT* Actually if you take the car to the stealer, they should be able to tell you whether you have heated mirrors fitted or not, you don't have to buy from them though ;)

S.

Last edited:
HEATED MIRROR

Thanks Pluggers and Steve, after a play it is heated, it comes on automatically when the temperature drops.

I've just got to find one cheaper than £52 squid now!!

Bob

Did you try the stealership? Sometimes they can be suprisingly cheap for some items, heh as well as being suprisingly expensive for others.

S.

HEATED MIRROR

From the dealer the glass is £73.50.

I've just been to Euro car parts and bought one from there. They only had the genuine glass which was £61.

I telephoned a local scrap dealer wanted £40 for one (the robber) and I don't know what nick it was in, or if it was all working ok.

All I have to do now is fit it.

Bob

HEATED MIRROR

From the dealer the glass is £73.50.

I've just been to Euro car parts and bought one from there. They only had the genuine glass which was £61 inc VAT (I forgot the VAT on the price previousley)

I telephoned a local scrap dealer wanted £40 for one (the robber) and I don't know what nick it was in, or if it was all working ok.

All I have to do now is fit it.

Bob

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom