Heated seat repair

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

colinallcars

Car
B180, SLK 230
A few years since I’ve been on here but still very much in the Mercedes fold with a W246 B Class and R170 SLK.

The seat heater on the base of the B Class stopped working (did it before when under warranty) which seems to be a common problem on this and the current A Class. At £150 for a new heating element from MB, I was keen to know if aftermarket, carbon fibre pads could be used but a search of the internet proved inconclusive. At £12 for a pair on eBay I decided to give it a go. Dismantling the seat was straightforward, the only special tool required being a T45 torx bit to remove the backrest. Instead of hog rings the seat cover is secured by plastic clips which made removal easier and provided secure fixings for the new pad which needed four holes cut in it to allow the clips to pass through. The connector was different from the original so I cut it off and joined the wires. Reassembly was a reversal of the process. I reconnected the battery, crossed my fingers and switched the heated seat on. Success! Within two minutes my backside was toasting nicely. So there is a very low cost option for repairing a failed seat heating element in a merc - hope this helps others with the same problem.

Well done,owners have to be careful with the heated seats,no kids using them as bouncy castle,or kneeling on them cleaning the interior of the car they do not like either of those activities .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom