Heated Steering Wheel

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

NJSS

Car
2011 SL 350 Fire Opal Red|||2016 Land Rover Discovery|||1973 MGB GT V8|||1959 MGA Roadster
I have posted elsewhere that I suffer from Raynaud's disease, possibly aggravated by surgery to both hands to correct Dupuytren’s Contracture.

I have been advised not to drive a car in the winter without a heated steering wheel, and preferably remote pre-start heating.

Happily my Land Rover has both. I would however like to buy an MB E estate, or similar, 2020 or later but have yet to find one with a heated steering wheel,.

Second question which MBs have remote pre-start heating?

NJSS

Can't help you on the heated steering wheel front, but I would guess that remote pre-start heating is only going to be available in either a hybrid or full EV car? I've only ever seen it on Tesla's.

Can I suggest some very good gloves or mittens, and possibly a good warm hat and coat plus body warmer gilet.

I'm not being a smart bum either. I suffer from the same condition. I have found two things.

1. It is difficulty in recovering finger temperature that affects me, so I wear very good mittens for a short period (see below) when in the car, and I make sure I put them on whilst still in the house, preferably from 5 mins on top of the radiator.

2. The loss in finger circulation and temperature is due to a sudden perceived loss in core temperature, thereby causing blood to rush from extremities to the core. So fantastic thick coats and body warmer, again, put on in the house a bit before going outside, really help me to get super toasty BEFORE I go outside and suffer the alternative consequences.

I don't need to wear the mittens for too long, as the in-dash electric heater is blowing out warm air within a minute or something, so the vents directed at the steering wheel soon warms things up.

Being and auto, I don't find gloves or mittens make any difference to vehicle operation. A manual gear stick is obviously different.

Heated gloves?

I have Dupuytrens in one hand coincidentally. Heated steering wheels are mostly s class saloon and coupe and I think some high end SLs. Can't remember ever seeing an estate with one. Possibly retrofit one ? Ask command on line they may have a clue if that's possible at all.
I expect mb do do prestart heating for other markets eg scandinavia.
All in all a Volvo is probably your best chance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom