Heater Blower Brushes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Im going through this problem now with my blower motor.I took it all apart this afternoon (20 min job)and found the brushes worn but not as bad as I originally thoght they would be.But in the mean time fiddled about with the spring, repositioning it and having the wire go through the middle of the spring.Now hopefully the wire wont get trapped at the bottom of the plastic slide so easily and stop brush contacting with the motor.It should give me some time now to source some new bushes hopefully.

Some pics of the offending items.

STA70780.jpg

Wire through the middle
STA70781.jpg

Wire now exits halfway up the plastic sleeve
STA70782.jpg

Couldnt find the thread that I posted in before, but I was have the same problem with the worn brushes.

In the end I decided to buy a new motor and it only cost me £99.88 inc vat from PC. Merc centre ltd in East London. There website is www.pcmerccentre.co.uk. Lucky for me they are only 5 mins from my home.

hi i also have the same problem and have tried exactly the same temr solution. i too would like the same info for my 180 c

If someone can send me a used brush which they no longer need, I will see if I can get some made up in China during my next visit there. Don't hold your breath, it could be a few weeks to months!

Cheers

Hi Guys,

MB Forum newby so please excuse my ignorance... I recently bought a 99 s clk 320 with the standard knob control heater and the blower doesn't work... (Or it ocassionally works - V Random) could this be the problem IE Worn motor brushes?

Hi Guys,

MB Forum newby so please excuse my ignorance... I recently bought a 99 s clk 320 with the standard knob control heater and the blower doesn't work... (Or it ocassionally works - V Random) could this be the problem IE Worn motor brushes?

More than likely blower motor brushes.

Just had a look at the russian site and the parts site:

390 2028209342 001 L ELECTRIC MOTOR BLOWER 206.20
390 2028209242 001 R ELECTRIC MOTOR BLOWER 169.74

with 10% discount from Inchcape

One of those motors is for LHD and the other for RHD. I know the L and R refer to this but which is which (no clever jokes please, it's sometimes listed as right-hand-traffic which is left-hand-drive ;) ).

I bet the motor inside is the same anyway, only the mouldings will be different.

Just called a supplier of brushes.
9x8x16 for £7.11 each brush + p&p.

It now looks like the correct size is 9x8x22 so expect a few pence more.

Hi Guys,

Mine did this and it turned out to be the switch itself.

Try pushing and pulling the knob while turning it and see if it makes any difference. If it does remove the switch assembly and squirt some contact cleaner inside. I did this nearly 3 years ago and it is still pretty much okay.

I just looked up electric motor repairer in the yellow pages, went to my local one, got some brushes (2mm too wide) ($20)
Rubbed off the excess on an smooth sand paper sheet.

worked perfectly for last 2 years so far.

Bazzle

Hey guys, thanks for the advice.... One quick question though... Mainly due to the lack of haynes manual. But where is the blower motor located? and how do i get at it?

W202 C180 Estate heater blower brush replacement.

A good link thanks.A little expensive for what they are IMO but at a fraction of the price for a new motor may be worth considering if I cant source any cheaper ones locally.:)

Just ordered some of these after following Shude's great notes with pictures and checking my motor's brushes - just as bad as the ones pictured! Can't wait to get them through the post - soooooo much cheaper than a replacement motor - hope it sorts out the problem.

I'm new to this, so just to be sure, the supplier was Tubesonline, 9 Scripton Gill, Durham, DH7 8BQ, 01913780193. They have them listed as CLK320 blower brushes. www.tubesonline.com

Last edited:
The motor on a W124 is a Bosch part. My local Bosch service centre said they'd look up a part number for replacement brushes if I gave them the part number of the motor

I'd already bought a pair of brushes from my local electric motor rebuilder (£3 / pair), filed them down and fitted them so I didn't bother pulling the motor again

Anyone who is contemplating replacing the fan assembly should be aware that there's more than one type and not all replacements will fit. Replacing the brushes is my recommendation unless the sleeve bearings on the motor are shot as well

Nick Froome
www.w124.co.uk

Last edited:
Brushes

Shude[and guys],

How did the contact faces look on yours - mine are very ridged and looks like the commutator [my mate called it this - where they contact/touch the motor] is damaged reciprocally. He says whatever I do won't last because of this damage - brushes will just wear away V quickly.

I'm sick of taking it in and out[three times now - first time about 4months and last time lasted just a week]

BTW on a '98 W202 C280 it's a Siemens motor not a Bosch.

Last edited:
In my Scalextric / model railway days I used to polish the commutator with some emery cloth and then undercut the insulators. So long as there's meat left on the commutator this will be fine

If you don't undercut the insulators they'll sit proud and wear away the brushes. They're made of harder material than the copper commutator

Nick Froome
www.w124.co.uk

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom