Heater Blower Brushes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

kjgood

Car
Currently w211 E240, Porsche 911 C2 Cab, oh and a Fiesta
My W202 C240 Sport is suffering from what seems to be a common fault, the heater blower motor brushes are worn out.

Has anyone located a source of supply yet or has the exact dimensions of a full size brush? I have done as most have, a temp repair for now by stretching springs and inserting a small plastic spacer, but need to get it sorted quickly.

I had this problem a year ago & had new brushes made up by a local electric motor rewind / repair shop - less than half cost of new fan motor unit although more than the cost of off the shelf replacement brushes for a bosch washing machine!! Mind you they did fit them & check the motor over for the price. The motor is still working OK a year on.

We need to approach a company and get a load of these things made at the same time. A new motor is £150ish I think. Dronsfields wanted £80 plus VAT for a second hand one out of a who-knows-how-old W202 with unknown mileage and a 3-months warranty. That's way too expensive IMHO!

Mine is still working fine *touch wood* with all manner of stuff being used to increase spring tension etc. I intend to get the maximum life out of those brushes if I'm to spend a fortune replacing them or the whole motor!

I mentioned that the brushes were worn out on the blower motor while I was at the aircon workshop this morning and the engineer brought out a replacement brush pack for the compressor or fan or something off a refridgerated truck.

These look familiar? They look like they're almost the same size as the ones on a W202/208/210/other motor and the replacement pack costs...

£6 :D

I will be stripping the interior and comparing/measuring the brushes later today if I get chance! :)

Attachments

• airconbrushes.jpg
    airconbrushes.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 645
silverarrow said:
progress report pls
I need to set aside some time to strip the interior, but I have to give these brushes back on Saturday when I go to the aircon shop so there is the deadline for me! Tomorrow night I will be out, so it's looking like Thursday night unless it rains or something.

Has anyone got any old brushes or exact sizes for them. I know an old fashioned reconditioners. I bet he can get them.

Dieselman said:
Has anyone got any old brushes or exact sizes for them. I know an old fashioned reconditioners. I bet he can get them.
I will have some pics of the old brushes tomorrow night. As for sizes, I will only have the sizes for the worn out ones, but I'm sure we can estimate their size when new ;)

Shude said:
Tomorrow night I will be out, so it's looking like Thursday night unless it rains or something.
It's raining. Tomorrow then hopefully or very likely Saturday morning.

I just measured the brushes.

The original brushes are 8mm tall, 7mm wide and probably about 20mm long (mine are a LOT shorter, see pic)

These replacement brushes are 10mm tall, 10mm wide and 23mm long. They could be ground down to the right size and have integrated copper wires :)

Attachments

• wornbrush.jpg
    wornbrush.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 602
Here is the replacement kit sitting on top of the motor, the motor that this replacement kit is designed for must be quite similar.

Attachments

• brushcomparison.jpg
    brushcomparison.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 610
Brushes

I'd like to thank the people who told me the problem with my heater blower was the brushes, spot on. As previously mentioned in this thread MB don't do replacements ( why would they when they can sell a new motor for £120+). So what are the chances of someone, more in the know than me sorting out a supplier. This is something we would all benefit from as it's such a common fault. Incidently I was just quoted £26.78 for a pollen filter. Is that about right?

agriff said:
As previously mentioned in this thread MB don't do replacements ( why would they when they can sell a new motor for £120+). So what are the chances of someone, more in the know than me sorting out a supplier. This is something we would all benefit from as it's such a common fault.
That brush kit I got from the aircon place (for free as it turns out) is fractionally larger than the blower motor brushes and could be ground down to fit. From the aircon shop they're £13 to coach customers but I might be able to secure some more for £6 each :)
agriff said:
Incidently I was just quoted £26.78 for a pollen filter. Is that about right?
Yes, I just checked my invoice for a b-service that included a pollen filter change and it was about £25.

brushes

I did a bodge with my brushes and the motors still running fine.

It wont be long though until the bodge wears out, i'm sure there are many out there that would buy brushes if they were made available. I certainly would.

kjgood said:
I did a bodge with my brushes and the motors still running fine.
The bodge on mine is pretty nasty looking, I will grind the old brushes out completely soon :(
kjgood said:
It wont be long though until the bodge wears out, i'm sure there are many out there that would buy brushes if they were made available. I certainly would.
The brushes need to be soldered onto the motor.

Someone could buy up old motors, fit new brushes and sell them as reconditioned motors, could even do a decent part-ex deal. Hmm :)

guydewdney said:
custom brushes...

or can you measure them exactly? you can dig through the list of brushes from the alternator catalogue, but i didnt see any exactly 8 x 7mm - only 7.9 x 6.?
I bet they're not £6 per pair though! ;)

Shude said:
I bet they're not £6 per pair though! ;)
Replaces
1.127.014.001/1.127.014.009
17 X 10 X 5
12 volt, 2 per set
BX 162 / BX182

Price: £0.23(Excluding: VAT at 17.5%)

guydewdney said:
Replaces
1.127.014.001/1.127.014.009
17 X 10 X 5
12 volt, 2 per set
BX 162 / BX182