Heater dash bulb gone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

KillerHERTZ

Administrator
Staff member
Car
SL63 AMG
Hi, the bulb behide the right hand heater dial has gone.

How do I remove the dash and replace it?

Cheers

The bulb should cost pennies from the dealer.

The nob pulls off and gives you access to the bulb.

To remove the bulb , get a bit of hose slightly smaller than the bulb and slide it over and the bulb should pull out.

Well on the C180 anyway , not too sure about the 124 kinky :mad:

Cheers. I'll report if it's any different.

K

I don't think that will work for you kinky.

You might need to take the dash trim off to get in at them. As you have the twirly nobs.

Kinky,

if it's the bulb in the heater knob that has gone, the method is the same procedure for the 124, if it's the one behind the dial, then it's slightly more of a pain. You need to remove the wooden fascia plate - two big retaining nuts behind the heater controls and two small screws above the ashtray. Lift the wooden panel out and you'll see the bulb - possibly covered by a little strip of white tape.

HTH

Andy

Cheers for the heads up guys and detailed instructions.

So much for a 2 min job !

Kinda following on from this ..... I know there's no specific Haynes for the 93-96 facelift 124 - but would the Haynes manual for the pre-facelift cover it?

I've become quite dependent on these manuals over the years and have found them a valuable resource. The only manual I've found better was the TVR 'S' owners bible by Steve Heath. By far the best manual I've ever had - and I'm considering writing a 124 version.

Anyhow - bottom line - would the pre-face lift Haynes manual cover the majority of my needs - or would the US Bently 'bible' cover it - or is there something else?

I've got to swap over a headlight lens at some point too.

Answers on a postcard to .....

K

I like your style Andy. It reads a bit more than 10 mins !

What about swapping over a headlight lens? Any ideas?

No need to respond to the manuals question above ... just found what I needed to know.

K

Last edited:
"What about swapping over a headlight lens? Any ideas?"

Not broken one of those on our Merc - we did do one on the Peugeot the other day though - the lens was held to the unit by a few clips - once we figured out how to get the trim off below the unit it took a few minutes - I'm guessing the glass on the merc is held in the same way so it shouldn't be too much work and hopefully won't involve taking the whole unit out the car - of course - I can't guarantee that this info is correct :)

Andy

Yeah - I had the same thing on my (ex) Mondeo a while ago. A 5 minute job to take 6 clips off (although a real bugger to get the bottom 3 back on).

And it was made all the more difficult with it being the near side lens, as there's more room on the off-side to work with.

I'll take a detailed look at the weekend ....

And thanks again.

K

To get to the bulb to remove it.......

There are two plastic clips at the 6 and 12 o’clock position in the attached photo. Push them back and out pops the clear plastic light tube. The bulb can then be removed in the normal way. Slip joint pliers with a cloth in the jaws work well on the clips, they are pretty rigid! The bulb is at 10:30 in the picture.

:)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom