Heater/Demister - Power from 48v EQ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BobbyG

Car
C200 AMG MY2019
Anyone know if the very mild hybrid 48v motor in the 1.5 petrol C200 (amongst others) aids the windscreen heater/demister, or is all the heat coming from the engine?

Thanks,

Anyone know if the very mild hybrid 48v motor in the 1.5 petrol C200 (amongst others) aids the windscreen heater/demister, or is all the heat coming from the engine?

Thanks,

Motor aiding the heater/demister?

I suspect the OP is thinking of the battery.

Yeah, the battery being used to provide instant heat, as opposed to waiting for the engine to warm up.

I suspect the OP is thinking of the battery.

You could be right, although he referred to the hybrid and motor specifically hence the question.

I’ve never looked into it, but I suspect not. Plenty of diesels have aux heaters and run 12v electrical systems, not sure of the relevance of the 48v EQ boost/hybrid side of things to do with the rest of the cars electrical system, it’s not all running on 48v :)

Yeah I thought it was a long shot....and there haven't been any opportunities to test how quickly an icy windscreen clears due to WFH!

Quicker with a petrol engine than a diesel, though.

Yeah I thought it was a long shot....and there haven't been any opportunities to test how quickly an icy windscreen clears due to WFH!
Average - not as quick as a diesel with an aux heater - or Ford with heated glass! :doh:

Quicker with a petrol engine than a diesel, though.
Not the case - many modern diesels have aux heaters and put out hot air quicker than conventional hot air from the (engine powered!) heater, petrol or otherwise :)

I've never had a diesel that modern...

Many (most?) climate control systems include an electric heater these days, to get some heat straight away. Our 2007 Vito (with basic aircon and no aux. heater) has a switch on the dash to turn this function on/off.

I've never had a diesel that modern...
You surely must have - has been on loads of mass produced cars and stuff for many years now?

I’ve never bought a diesel MB but would be surprised if at least some models from the last 10-20 years didn’t have them?

Perhaps I have, and never knew it. I'll check the manual for the CLS and see.

I have the auxiliary heater function (option code 670), but that only works when the engine is hot, circulating coolant after the engine is switched off to utilise the heat already there, so it's no use from cold. There's nothing else.

Unless somebody knows different...?

I have the auxiliary heater function (option code 670), but that only works when the engine is hot, circulating coolant after the engine is switched off to utilise the heat already there, so it's no use from cold. There's nothing else.

Unless somebody knows different...?
I thought that function was called "Rest"? I had it on my CLS, as you say it simply has an electric pump to circulate warm coolant after the IGN is off and one presses the REST button on the climate control.
I recall diesel W211 models had an electrically powered (Peltier?) heater in the heater system that came on with the IGN to boost cabin heat until the engine came up to temp.
My S203 had an electric boost heater for the engine block but that only operated if there was a surplus of charge from the alternator. I never noticed any effect...

Some vehicles have a ptc (and therefore self regulating so no switch or controls) electric heater built in - my Jeep has one.
Adds a noticeable amount of heat before the engine has warmed up.

I thought that function was called "Rest"? I had it on my CLS, as you say it simply has an electric pump to circulate warm coolant after the IGN is off and one presses the REST button on the climate control.
I recall diesel W211 models had an electrically powered (Peltier?) heater in the heater system that came on with the IGN to boost cabin heat until the engine came up to temp.
My S203 had an electric boost heater for the engine block but that only operated if there was a surplus of charge from the alternator. I never noticed any effect...
The very same; there's nothing else, afaik. It may well be possible to install an aftermarket heating element in the block or lower radiator hose, powered from the mains, but I've found nothing to suggest MB installed anything powered by the car's own electrical system, which is what I meant. I'm not that bothered; if there was something there I'd use it, but warm-up to the point where the demist function is effective is somewhat slower than with the SLK, but not dramatically so, and I can live with it.

I'm old enough to remember when heated rear screens were a luxury...

I'm old enough to remember when heated rear screens were a luxury...

Yup, you could buy self-adhesive heating elements to stick onto your rear window ... I fitted one of these kits to my '71/J plate Vauxhall Viva. I also added reversing lights, which it didn't have either :)

Luxury, yer southern softie...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom