Heater making funny noises when cold

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

midlife

On my W220 when I put on the heating on in the morning when the car is cold the squealing and squeaking coming from the blower is doing my nut in. It seems to be a bit less of a pain if I put the system on to high but that might just be a case of not hearing it over the noise of the fans. It seems to be coming from the passenger foot well. Anyone else suffered from this and do you know if its a easy/difficult repair?

Regards

Either the fan bearings are running dry and need lubricating or the fan is loose on the motor spindle or the blades are catching the housing.

You need the fan out.

On my W220 when I put on the heating on in the morning when the car is cold the squealing and squeaking coming from the blower is doing my nut in. It seems to be a bit less of a pain if I put the system on to high but that might just be a case of not hearing it over the noise of the fans. It seems to be coming from the passenger foot well. Anyone else suffered from this and do you know if its a easy/difficult repair?

Regards

I had the same problem. As above you can take the blower out (15 mins) and lubricate it to stop the squealing.
This works for about two months then the squealing returns :eek:
In the end I got a new one off e bay £40 (MB charge £300 ish). The squealing is caused by water penetration dripping on to the heater blower over a period of time which rusts the moving parts
There is one on e bay (new) for about £120, I will check for you:)

Here it is, grab a bargain or barter with him :)

If you need help to remove and install, let me know and I will give instructions which are easy to follow

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Mercedes-Benz...14&_trkparms=72:1299|66:2|65:12|39:1|240:1318

Last edited:
Chas, first class. I will go and see if a deal can be done. Do you have a description on how I can get to the blower unit or do you know if there is a thread on the forum that covers this (I have look and see)

Thanks again

Im just off to work Craig, I will contact you later with details. You basically remove the carpet covering underneath the glove box above the passenger footwell. The heater blower is inside there attached with 4 torx (size 10 ?) screws. Remove them (use a torch to see) and the blower drops out. The wire is attached to the regulator and should be unplugged. Install is just the reverse

Attachments

• 6113_1.jpg
    6113_1.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 66
Last edited:
Thats the job for this weekend, the wife can run and jump if she thinks the xmas shopping comes first. You desription sounds simple so I'll let you know how I get on. I sent an email to you but I'm not sure if you received it. Maybe you could drop me a test email to make sure I got it right. My email is [email protected]
Cheers

Well thats me got a nice quiet cabin again thanks to Chas for his desciption on how to remove and repair the squeaky blower unit. It only took about 30 minutes to do the job. A bit fiddly when your 6'4" and 16 stone, you tend to get wedged in every now and then.
Oh well back to reading the threads about upgrading the factory xenons which I'll never have the balls to do

Well done Craig. Installing factory XENONS isn't so easy, as the car needs rewired for the self levellers, and MB XENONS are about £1,200 ! A cheaper option is clear glass projectors (2003 upgrade headlights) with HID kit on the dipped beams. It will pass the MOT, but technically is illegal ( been covered on here a hundred times) You might be able to get XENON headlamps from the far east, but the quality may not be so good

A cheaper option is clear glass projectors (2003 upgrade headlights) with HID kit on the dipped beams. It will pass the MOT, but technically is illegal

For good reason. They are horrible to drive towards or in front of due to excessive dazzle.

Chas

Please have a look at the reply below I got from a guy on ebay regarding lights and let me know what you think

Cheers

Craig
https://mail.scotoil.co.uk/exchweb/bin/redir.asp?URL=http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem%26item=120351475949%26ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:MOTORS:1123

Hi Craig,

1. For with factory xenon model, there is a minor re-wiring needs to be done, takes about 5 minutes and fairly simple. We also include installation reference for that. Basically it's the new xenon ballasts that we supply need power from your car, so, the power wires originally goes to your factory xenon ballast needs to be re-wire to connect to the new ballast, that is it. Everything else is plug and play and xenon HID bulbs are pre-installed and pre-wired with the ballasts.
2. You will KEEP your auto-leveling feature it will NOT stop working.
3. Yes this headlight fits perfectly on the RHD (Right Hand Drive) model used in UK.
4. 2 ways to pay thus determines how it will be sent.
A. Use PayPal, we use UPS Expedited 3-4 days to UK is $220 P/P.
or
B. Use Bank Wire Transfer, we use EMS (Express Mail 3-6 days) to UK is $150 P/P.

Regards,

Weird its working with me, never mind the item number for ebay is below

Cheers

did you go ahead with these?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom